Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Cage Placement

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • xnovalentine
      Participant
      309 posts Send Private Message

Is it okay for me to place her cage under a desk? It’s dark under the desk, but during the daytime the room is bright. I don’t want her to feel like a hermit or it to make her feel excluded. I decided to put the cage under the desk because there is limited space in the room and she was sitting on top of a bookshelf (a smaller one! lol) and i felt that she would be happier on the ground, but like i said there is lack of space. the cage fits perfectly under the desk but like i said, its dark. Does anyone think this is a good/bad idea? Heres a picture of what i mean:

Be aware that there was a flash and the area is more lit in the picture than it actually is. And don’t mind my messy desk lol

• Scarlet_Rose
        Participant
        4293 posts Send Private Message

Looks great! It’s a much better place to hop in and out of for adventuring.  The only thing I see are a few hazzards like the cord on the left and some small purple plastic objects on the shelf she might get to.  Heck I’ve seen bigger messes in my own room, so no mind to the messiness! Wild rabbits live in burrows and domesticated, while slightly spoiled *snicker* love being the center of the universe, so under your desk is just great! Be careful as you might get your socks and toes nibbled on.  My Bonsai has a sock fetish so I know very well what that is like. Oh and shoelaces too.

• MooBunnay
          Participant
          3087 posts Send Private Message

I think under the desk is definitely an OK place, as long as she can’t reach any cords that are behind the desk. Mine love hiding under the desk in my bedroom, and under the bed, so I think she will enjoy having her home under there. Definitely do a bit of research on bunny proofing though, especially cover up cords, because bunnies can unknowingly bite into these thinking they are roots, and if the cord is plugged in and live, the bunny can get hurt pretty badly.

• xnovalentine
            Participant
            309 posts Send Private Message

Thanks for the advice — I’ve spent the last 2 hours bunny proofing the room as I’m going to start letting her have it all the time. The cord in the pic is just my laptop cord and its only there when I’m in the room and usually on top of the desk. So don’t worry I was watching her! The room isin’t totally proofed – but i think it’ll do okay for now. I’ve duct taped all the cords high up behind the desk so that shouldnt be a problem

Lulla seems pretty upset about the move – but hopefully she’ll appreciate it more in the long run. She’s actually chewing at the door of her cage – which i havn’t seen her do before and she knocked over her food, hayrack, and water bottle. She was not a happy bunny. I’m still keeping her pinned up until she’s better litter trained – most likely up until she gets spayed – which i am going to do in a few weeks.

• Scarlet_Rose
              Participant
              4293 posts Send Private Message

Very cool! It sounds like she wants out so she can explore her new digs and just can’t wait! Her litter box habits should improve after spaying too. Let us know when she goes in!

• MsBinky
                Participant
                62 posts Send Private Message

Actually, rabbits like the dark and are comfy in it.  I personally don’t like them in extra dark places but under the desk is fine by me. Lol. Plus I am sure your bun loves to hop in and out herself.

• BinkyBunny
                  8776 posts Send Private Message

I also agree that is a fine place. I know that limiting her freedom is good while littertraining, but when you say pinned up, do you mean just to that cage? IF you mean that, you may want to get an xpen or something where she can at least get out for a little bit of exercise while she’s in training. if you are worried about her peeing and pooing on the floor where ever the xpen is, you can cover the area with tarp and put a few towels down within the xpen during her playtime in it.

• MooBunnay
                    Participant
                    3087 posts Send Private Message

Regarding her seeming upset about the move – rabbits seem to be pretty routine oriented, so she is probably just reacting to things being rearranged, and hopefully she will settle down soon She might need a little extra TLC right now as she adjusts to her new cage location!

• Gravehearted
                      Participant
                      2428 posts Send Private Message

I think it’s a nice place too – as ScarletRose mentioned bunnies naturally live in warrens and most love to be under things like chairs and beds. My bet is the lil nook under the desk will make her happy once she gets over her initial displeasure of being relocated.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Cage Placement