Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Cage chewing

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • GisC
      Participant
      6 posts Send Private Message

Hi Everyone. I just recently got a minilop that we are trying to have as a free range during the day and in a 2 stories inside hutch for the night. Our apartment is very small so a play pen would be actually smaller than the hutch  and leaving him out at night is not feasible – he is a trouble maker and likes to jump from heights at night (like from the couch to the chairs from the chairs to the table and the table to the kitchen counter). He also jumped from an opening in a flight of stairs at my in laws and got trapped in his hay box once. My problem is that even if his cage is open all day long he barely wants to come out – maybe an hour during the day – and when he finally does it tends to be late so he is not gettin the recommended time for play I see everyone suggest.  We go to bed around 10:30 every night and open the box most of the days between 6 and 7 when we wake up depending if it is a week day or not. I know they are crepuscular but I was wondering if there is any way we could coax him to change his habits a little bit so he can start come out and play around 6 pm instead of 8 so he can actually have more playtime every night.

Thanks in advance!

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

How long ago did you get him? It could be that he’s still adjusting to your schedule and his new environment. Do you give him salad in the evening? If so, maybe giving it to him a little earlier (mine tend to take a nap after salad, then get the zoomies about an hour later), and feeding it outside the cage so he comes out to get it might help.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• GisC
          Participant
          6 posts Send Private Message

Hi Dana, we got him a couple of weeks ago.  We usually give him food around 5:30 pm (the person who gave it to us suggested to give him unlimited hay and some pellets in the evening, quantity according to his weight).  I’ve never tried feeding him outside where he usually eats so that could be an idea thanks!

• DanaNM
            8935 posts Send Private Message

He could definitely still be settling in and getting used to the schedule, but encouraging to him to come out with some pellets might help. 🙂

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Wick & Fable
              5782 posts Send Private Message

I also think that he just needs more time to adjust to your schedule, so doing things that will encourage the routine of being more active before you go to bed is great, including timing feedings.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Cage chewing