Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Cage big enough for 2?

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
    • alyssa
      Participant
      47 posts Send Private Message

my 2 rabbits dont spend much time inside the cage, they are in it at night but during the day have free run over the room. also from what we have heard from the petstore, the blk n white (chewy) is a boy and Madison is a girl, but we arent sure.  Chewy is only at most 2 months younger than her, is it normal that he is that small?

t

• Lion_Lop_Lover
        Participant
        971 posts Send Private Message

I noted this in the other thread, but yeah, I think it’s too small for the two of them… and I would separate until they’re sexed, because regardless, they’re going to need to be spayed or neutered to remain bonded, unfortunately…

• Sarita
          Participant
          18851 posts Send Private Message

Hi Alyssa,

Adorable rabbits. I think that cage is too small even if they spend alot of time outside of the cage.

I suggest you look at the bunny info tab up above with the Cool Habitats link and consider making them a home out of neat idea cubes which you can build up.

They need space to stretch out and stand up and space for their litter box and food and toys. The bigger you can do the better – keep in mind that your rabbits are young and they are going to grooooooow so you should take that into consideration.

Most any cage you purchase at a pet store is never adequate. Another very nice option is a puppy pen or an x-pen, it’s more expensive than building your own but that would give your rabbits adequate space and they are easy to clean in my opinion.

• alyssa
            Participant

we are getting a puppy x-pen im not too good with building stuff and i want to keep things simple

• Sarita
              Participant
              18851 posts Send Private Message

You’ll be happy with that – just get one that is tall enough – I have the 4 foot ones by Midwest – they are tall enough and sturdy. It it’s not tall enough and one of your rabbits is a jumper, he’ll leap right out of the pen.

A good idea is to get a piece of linoleum and then a carpet to put over the linoleum to put under the pen.

• Sage Cat
                Participant
                1883 posts Send Private Message

Hey Alyssa,

I have a little Dutch boy (Winston) and a white girl (Kay, she is a Hotot mix) too! 

Just curious, in the photo it looks like you bunny’s have collars on – there is something blue around Chewy’s neck. Did you know this is really dangerous for bunny’s?

132753560971.jpg

• alyssa
                  Participant
                    Posted By Sage Cat on 03/27/2008 3:05 PM

Hey Alyssa,

I have a little Dutch boy (Winston) and a white girl (Kay, she is a Hotot mix) too! 

Just curious, in the photo it looks like you bunny’s have collars on – there is something blue around Chewy’s neck. Did you know this is really dangerous for bunny’s?

we took the collars off, their feet kept getting stuck in them. they were so cute tho lol.. wow our bunnies look alike

• Sage Cat
                    Participant
                    1883 posts Send Private Message

Hey again,
                      I just saw in another post (on the lounge) that you had already taken the collars off.

Plus, I have only had mine for a month now – they are a blast!

• Lisa_43
                      Participant
                      1499 posts Send Private Message

Sage Cat great eye sight picking up that blue collar in the picture. Alyssa it is a good idea not to have collars on rabbits, it could strangle them. I love your bunnies they are so adorable.

• JK
                        Participant
                        2223 posts Send Private Message

Your rabbits are adorable. Not to get on your case but in the first picture it looks like you are feeding them some sort of seed mixture? I could be wrong. Just to clarify your rabbits should be getting unlimited hay, a small amount of pellets and fresh leafy greens ONLY. Check under Bunny Info above under Diet. I agree the cage is way too small. It should be 48″ x 24″ at the minimum.

• Beka27
                          Participant
                          16016 posts Send Private Message

“It should be 48″ x 24″ at the minimum.”

per rabbit.  if you’re getting an xpen it’s probably 4 x 4 feet if set-up square, right?  i think that’s the standard.  you culd get a box of NIC cubes and make a divider very easily (ziptieing them together a couple high) and attach at the midway point in the pen, each bunny getting a side with out being completely separate.  if they started to fight thru the bars once puberty set in tho, they would need to completely separate enclosures.

• MooBunnay
                            Participant
                            3087 posts Send Private Message

I think its a very good idea as others have mentioned to invest in an exp-pen or to build an NIC cage. They are lots of fun to design, and also cheaper because you can get a litter box, and use carpet as flooring so you don’t have to line an entire cage with litter, which can sometimes get expensive.

Also, please be careful about how long you keep the two of them together, don’t forget that a female can get pregnant at 3 months old, so you could have babies running around really soon if you don’t get them to a vet to be sexed & fixed soon If you can’t get them to the vet before they are 3 months old you should separate them just in case you have a male and a female or else you will soon have many many more rabbits that you expected!

• kimberleyanddarren
                              Participant
                              2520 posts Send Private Message

personally i think those cages are not even big enough for one rabbit really, they are very small, i would use them for one rabbit but certainly not two! i think you should consider your options of getting another one, you could get one second hand!

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Cage big enough for 2?