Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING BuzzLightYeat & Sweet Pea meet

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Jenalynn
      Participant
      75 posts Send Private Message

Hello everyone,

I am now a mommy of 2 bunnies today =)

I adopted my first bunny  BuzzLightYear from the shelter when he was just about 8 weeks old or he was going to be euthanized =(. I got him neutered at 6months old, and he is now just under a year old. He lives in a lovely NIC condo 5’x’5×2.5′.  He is quite calm, and doesnt mind being petted…but hates being held…so I dont even attempt…just made him a ramp from his cage to my bed so I dont have to lift him when he wants to be up by me =)

I went to Vet tech school 8 months ago and fell in love with a bunny they had just adopted from a shelter named Sweet Pea. Unfortunaately they are kept in cages all day with barely any attention besides the attention she got from me a half hour everyday- i could NOT bare to keep her there after she had been there for 8 months already… sooo I built her the same size cage as Buzz’s and brought her home with me today.

She is about 3.5 years old – she is not spayed sadly. I have an appt Monday with the vet to see if she healthy enough to get fixed. She LOVES attention and doesn’t mind being held AT ALL! 

Buzz and her cage are about 4 inches apart so they can see eachother but not close enough to get to  eachother - they are both very anxious to meet eachother or beat on eachother… but I don’t want to try the bonding process until after Sweet Pea is fixed which hopefully the Doc will be able to do in a week or 2.

Since they are in the same room- they have the same play area when out of the cage…. Buzz is let out for 6 hours in the morning /afternoon and then Sweetpea is let out for 5/6 hours in the evening…..

Is that okay if they play in the same area? Does any one have any other suggestions for me with bonding them. They got face to face with a cage between then when sweetpea was out…and ofcourse there was grunting…and jumping….which is normal I have read?

Should I DEF not even attemp bonding until after she is fixed?

Well hopefully all goes well with the vet Monday.

Just looking for any tips or advice with my situation.

Thanks!!!!!!

• Karla
        Participant
        1624 posts Send Private Message

I brought Molly home as well when she was not fixed. And Karl – who is fixed – loved her! Apparently, her scent was just great and he would grunt and hump her, and she loved it. I think the bonding went so easily between these two because she had the scent of being ready to mate. We actually – againt all advise – bonded them just a 4 days after her spay. And they were instantly bonded.

I would of course keep a close eye on Karl, so that he was not humping her. But after the spay, she would not let him at all, so it was no problem.

My experience is that the grunt is a noise made out of lust and not aggression.

Any update on them?

• RabbitPam
          11002 posts Send Private Message

https://www.binkybunny.com/BUNNYINFO/Bondin…fault.aspx

First, Congratulations! You sound like a great bunny mom and will be as good with two as with your first one.

I have inserted the link to the bonding page since I think it answers a lot of your questions right away. You said you’d read up on it, but if you scroll down it talks about what to do in pre-neutered times, and continues with info. from there that I could only paraphrase. Try some of these suggested steps until the neuter, and enjoy your bunnies!!!!

• MooBunnay
            Participant
            3087 posts Send Private Message

The concern I usually have about doing bonding before the spay is that all the work you have done could be undone since they have to spend time apart for the surgery and for healing, so even if you made a lot of progress, it might not help in the end. Also, when the hormones are higher, they are usually more likely to fight.

Also, the concern about bonding bunnies right after a spay or neuter is that if they fight, they could really hurt themselves, especially in the areas where she is healing from being spayed. When bunnies fight they tend to go for the private parts of the other bunny, so you can imagine how bad it would be if he bit her there while she was healing from a spay.

So for those reasons, I generally recommend not starting the bonding procedure until both bunes are fixed, and are healed, just to make sure that everyone is safe throughout the whole process.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING BuzzLightYeat & Sweet Pea meet