Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Butt Bath?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • Marzipan The Bunny
      Participant
      73 posts Send Private Message

Hi all. This afternoon i was cuddling Mars when i felt these hard clumps of fur. i looked over and there is pee all over his bum. I usually clean his litter box everyday but i didn’t yesterday since i ran out of bedding so i’m guessing he sat in it and that’s how this happened. It’s kind of clumped up in her fur and it doesn’t seem too pleasant. could i give him a butt bath for this? I know you should never bathe a bunny since it’s stressful but i was hoping to just clean it off really quick.

• kurottabun
        Participant
        908 posts Send Private Message

Hmm, personally I don’t think a butt bath is necessary in this case. Normally butt baths are given only if a bunny has a really bad poopy butt due to an upset stomach or illness etc.

If it’s just pee, try using some corn starch on the area and a brush. The corn starch will absorb moisture and you can brush off any remaining pee in the fur. There will most likely be pee stains but as long as it’s dry, the stains will eventually go away as bunnies will groom themselves + shed

Sometimes the cause of a pee stained butt is due to something more serious, so I’d monitor for the next few days to make sure he’s not having a urinary tract infection or anything like that.

• Asriel and Bombur
          Participant
          1104 posts Send Private Message

10/10 recommend cornstarch. I do it all the time.

• Marzipan The Bunny
            Participant
            73 posts Send Private Message

Thank you, the cornstarch worked! He has his vet appointment in a few days anyways but Ive been keeping a close eye on him and his poops, litterbox, behavior, etc all seems fine.

• Kat
              Participant
              2 posts Send Private Message

Can their anal glands get infected like a dog’s?

• jerseygirl
                22338 posts Send Private Message

It’s possible but nowhere near as common as it is with dogs. Rabbits bend right down to eat their cecatroph “poop” direct from the butt and can groom themselves efficiently around the genital region.  That likely helps.  We normally refer to the glands on each side of the genital mound as anal glands. They are technically the inguinal glands and anal gland are inside the rectum. It’s possible for the scent gland under this chin to become infected also, but again, not common.

I’ll close this thread now as it was started a year ago. @Kat, if you have further questions, feel free to start a new thread on the topic.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • The topic ‘Butt Bath?’ is closed to new replies.

Forum DIET & CARE Butt Bath?