Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Bunny won’t play with toys

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • smoresthebun
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

Hi, I’m new here and I’m not sure if I am posting in the right space. I have a 7 year old rabbit who is not neutered (it’s too risky to do it now) so getting him a companion is not an option. He is free roam throughout the house, and has one room with most of his things where he can play and eat etc. We have given him a variety of toys (tossing cups, wood, wicker, willow, apple wood, loofah, playposts, dig mats, chew sticks, and tunnels. He does not play or interact with any. He doesn’t even go though his tunnel or hideouts. He does not do zoomies either, but he will play with us, run over to greet us, and binky and flop A LOT. Is this a normal thing or is there anything we could try? He seems like a happy guy, I just worry he might get bored. He sleeps a lot of the time.

• Wick & Fable
        5781 posts Send Private Message

Some rabbits, though a minority, may not like a lot of toys. Your rabbit sounds pretty much like my netherland dwarf — he doesn’t chew toys or play with anything. He just lounges all day (he doesn’t even flop, haha). If he’s not showing frustration behaviors, such as destructive tendencies, and he’s eating and drinking and pooping fine, he may just be more chill. He’s also on the older side, so perhaps age, though the relationship between the two is pretty weak from what I’ve read with other members’ stories!

Since he does engage with you, something you can do is try to engage with him more often. I know I suspect a lot of my ND’s behaviors come from him observing that… I very frequently… just sit.. and… do nothing, haha. Perhaps trying to teach him tricks, cues, etc may be fun and engaging!

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Hazel
          Participant
          2587 posts Send Private Message

You could try to attach something for him to chew on to his cage, it’s easier for them to tear into something if it’s stationary.

7 years isn’t too old to get him neutered by the way, as long as he’s healthy and you have a bunny savvy vet.

• DanaNM
            8930 posts Send Private Message

Is he very food motivated? He might like some “food puzzles” for enrichment. Like you can hide his pellets in the stacking cups so he has to toss them around to get them. Some of my bunnies favorite toys aren’t toys… they have all liked shredding phone books. I have found my buns play less with their toys the more time they get to roam, so he could just be content. 🙂

Might also be worth a check-up since he’s getting older just to make sure something isn’t bothering him. I started giving my older buns joint support treats and they do seem like they are more active.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Bunny won’t play with toys