Forum

OUR SITE IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS. YOU WON’T BE ABLE TO LOGIN YET.   WE WILL ANNOUNCE WHEN READY. THE SITE MAY BE SLOW, SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT.  YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Home Forums HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bunny won’t eat pellets

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 98 total)
  • Author
    Cocoa
    Participant

My two bunnies have an appointment to be spayed tomorrow morning. Cocoa hasn’t eaten her pellets. She did eat some hay and her veggies. She is being her normal self other than not eating pellets. Her pooping is normal. Should I cancel the spay?

Cocoa
    Participant

Please answer asap. It’s almost time to leave for the vets office for their spays

Muchelle
    Participant

If they ate in general and are pooping/peeing fine, they should be fine. You can make it known to the vet if they have significantly eaten less than usual and decide together what to do.

Cocoa
    Participant

Cocoa ate almost all her hay and a little bit of pellets. Lily ate her usual amount. The vet is an hour away so we wont go there except for the spays. We have a closer vet but they are expensive for spays. Should I do it?

Muchelle
    Participant

They won’t be eating anyways during the car trip, so distance is relatively important. If they will have to wait at the vet’s office before the procedure, then they should be offered something to eat.

If you are not personally convinced about the vet you have booked with (the one that suggested not to feed them before the spay, If I’m not remembering incorrectly) and would like them seen by another vet, it’s completely in your rights to do. You can also go to the vet, discuss with them the procedure etc and decide not to go through with it.

Just a piece of friendly advice here: don’t wait on forum responses. It can be replies come too late, as it’s happening now. In this case it’s nothing incredibly urgent, but if for example a bun is sick, never wait on us to respond

Cocoa
    Participant

Do you think I should have them spayed even though Cocoa won’t eat her pellets? I normally feed her before i leave in the evening and then I’m back around four the next day. I don’t know if normally she would be still eating

Muchelle
    Participant

As long as her stomach isn’t empty, it’s fine

Cocoa
    Participant

So you think yes? Even though she hasn’t eaten pellets she will be fine because she had hay?

Muchelle
    Participant

I can’t know because I am not there. If she has eaten her other foods and just left pellets, then her stomach is not empty which is okay.

Cocoa
    Participant

Okay thank you so much. Sorry I am just nervous because they are my first bunnies. We are on our way to the vet

Muchelle
    Participant

I know, don’t worry good luck

Cocoa
    Participant

Just got home. We are picking them up around 4:30

Sirius&Luna
    Participant

I hope it all goes well!

I would spend this time thoroughly cleaning out their hutches, and setting up clean hutches with nice soft blanketted areas, and making sure you have a range of tempting foods for them. I would also recommend giving small portions often, so you can see if/how much they’re eating. Will you be keeping them indoors for the first couple of nights? I think it would be best.

Don’t be afraid if they seem sleepy when you pick them up, that’s a pretty quick turn around for a spay, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they were still sleepy. And make sure the vets send you back with painkillers for them.

Cocoa
    Participant

I am about to clean the hutch. I will talk to the vet about them staying inside when we pick them up. What are the best foods to offer? I will make sure to get pain killers. If I use fleece will it get ruined?

sarahthegemini
    Participant

They really should be kept inside whilst they recover, at least.

What do you mean would the fleece get ruined?

Sirius&Luna
    Participant

Best food is anything they usually enjoy Often they go back to pellets last, but fresh veg is a good way of getting water into them. So any vegetables you normally give them, maybe have some fruit too in case they won’t eat veg, but I wouldn’t offer it to them unless they’re not eating anything else. Offer them their usual pellets and hay too.

They might pee on or chew the fleece, but it is important that they have something soft to lie on. An old towel could also work, but make sure they’re not eating bits of it (unlikely, after a spay, but still important to keep an eye on).

Cocoa
    Participant

I used some soft towels. I just didn’t want them to pee on the fleece so I was going to use towels instead. They are both doing good. Cocoa is starting to act more like herself. She is pushing the cage door when I try to close it so I know she’s feeling a little better. Thank you

Cocoa
    Participant

We picked them up an our ago. They haven’t eaten anything. I offered them lettuce, oranges, orange peel, and carrots. Those are the only veggies and fruits i had. My mom is going to the store tonight and she will be buying more. Lily is still really groggy. Normally she gets up and goes to the back of the cage when I open the door. Right now she is just laying down and ignoring me. Cocoa is acting totally normal. She always gets really excited for food but today she didn’t care. She knows it’s there. The vet didn’t give us pain meds. Just said they gave them a painkiller shot and that rabbits don’t normally need pain meds. What should I do?

Harley&Thumper
    Participant

Can you contact the closer vet that was more expensive and ask if you can get a prescription for pain meds?

Cocoa
    Participant

So rabbits are supposed to be eating this soon after a spay? I will but my mom doesn’t think rabbits normally eat this soon after surgery. The vet and breeder both said that rabbits don’t need pain meds and she’s listening to them instead of me and the ten websites i found saying they do. Any particular websites I could show her that they need pain meds and should eat this soon after?

Sirius&Luna
    Participant

H&T has a good idea – it’s definitely worth contacting the other vet and they’ll prescribe you pain medications.

Link from the HRS about post spay recovery, including pain meds:
    https://rabbit.org/post-surgical-aftercare/

Perhaps you could explain to your parents that rabbits can hide their pain very well, but pain is often shown in a lack of appetite. If they don’t eat then they’ll end up requiring more vet care, which will get more expensive for your parents. Spending a small amount of money on pain medications is a. Much better for the rabbit which has had major surgery and b. Much cheaper in the long run.

I don’t know how soon after they should eat, as my vet kept Luna for 36 hours after her spay to ensure she was eating and pooping properly. I would say it’s essential that they eat in the first 12 hours after the spay. If they haven’t eaten by that point, you need to contact the vet and demand some pain medication, and critical care. You might need to force feed them.

It’s great that Cocoa’s doing well.

Are they inside and warm? Rabbits that are coming round from anaesthetic and not eating can lose body heat very quickly.

You can also try soaking pellets in some warm water, and trying to feed them that.

Cocoa
    Participant

My parents won’t let them stay inside. I gave them lots of soft blankets. There is no way I can get my mom to drive me back to the vet. It’s an hour there and an hour back. I would have to spend extra money at a closer vet for pain meds. Syringe feeding pellets?

Muchelle
    Participant

They need to be eating as soon as possible. Anesthesia slows their guts and, since they are so prone to GI stasis, it’s important that they keep filling their stomachs and guts to keep things moving along. They also need a good pain management (they should be on pain meds and antibiotics after a surgery) because pain is also a cause for GI stasis, other than the obvious fact that it is a negative feeling in general.

Well, do invite your mom to chat with us We’ll be glad to answer her questions. We’re all bun owners and some here have been for many years.

Also, in case you are, please don’t give them orange freely. Orange is very sugary (it’s to be considered a treat) and acidic (may damage the mouth or stomach if given too often too much). The seeds aren’t good for a bun to eat, so remember to take them out

Personally, I also remove the white-ish peel around each slice of orange because I’ve read it may cause troubles if ingested.

[Edited for… botched grammar problems]

Wick

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html

^ from Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

“Pain Management
    Any surgery, including a neuter or (especially) a spay, will make bunny sore for one to several days.
    • Pain management in rabbits is critical to uneventful recovery.
    • Most experienced vets routinely administer analgesics such as metacam/meloxicam, Banamine (flunixin meglumine), buprenorphine, tramadol, etc. before or shortly after surgery, so the bunny will be as comfortable as possible while waking up.
    • Ask the veterinarian about this before scheduling surgery. If no pain medications are going to be given to your rabbit, you should probably seek a different vet!
    • Before bringing your bunny home, ask your vet about follow-up pain management at home, when the initial dose wears off. ”

General Pet MD site: https://www.petcoach.co/article/spaying-and-neutering/

“Rabbits in pain become stressed and will not eat, which can result in serious complications. The use of analgesics (pain relievers) in rabbits is important to reduce the recovery time.”

From House Rabbit Society, includes clause about pain management after procedures: https://rabbit.org/the-importance-of-analgesia-pain-control-for-pet-rabbits/

“Drugs (oral, injectable or transdermal)
    Opioids – these drugs are related to morphine and there are several safe and effective candidates in this category. They are most often used for bone pain and as part of a pre and post surgical pain management protocol. These drugs are most often given by injection, but some can be given orally or as a transdermal patch on the skin.”

— I have a male, so no experience with post-spay recovery, but considering that even a male neutering, which is a much more simple and less invasive procedure, requires pain meds afterwards, pain meds after a spay only seems logical. You can explain to your mother what a spay is, maybe that will help. I warn you the images on this site are graphic, as they show the operation, so if you do not want to look, do not, but maybe show them to your mother so she can see how this is no small operation: http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/castration/Spay/Steril_en.html . The end does mention post-op care, which includes the heavy recommendation for pain medications

Cocoa
    Participant

I will call her right now to explain it. I gave each bunny some mash to try to get them to eat. Is applesauce something I can mix with their mash to make it more appetizing?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 98 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.