Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bunny wont bond

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Julia Rodriguez
      Participant
      3 posts Send Private Message

Im not too new to the bunny world…but I havent been on here in forever. I used to live in NYC, and had 3bunnies, Blizzard, Precious and Ernie, but my husband and I have decided to get divorced and I moved home with my daughter to canada…. I left my bunnies behind,  because I didnt know I could fly them here, but couldnt afford to anyways…anyhow….. my ex is a bunny person…well…one trained by me   and has been taking care of them since. When he comes up to visit our daughter, he plans of bringing Blizzard..because he is attached to Ernie…and sadly precious passed away a couple of months ago … but Blizzard is my bun, I have raised him since he was 6weeks old and we found him outside.(he is now almost 1.5yrs)

Anyways, here in Canada, I finally got my own place and just didnt feel the same without a bunny running around, so I went looking….I went to petcetera(yes bad me) in calgary and saw a rescue bun, who I fell in love with…but she had a puffy cheek and goopy eyes….and lived in a small cage, I had to have her, and when I asked the lady she went and got the owner, who told me that she was just on her way to be put to sleep because the store wouldnt let her give the vet anymore money for her( so sad!!)….so i told her that I would take her and she gave her to me for nothing..so I took her home….I made a vet appointment for the next day..I took her home and held her and made her comfy and told her everything would be alright now..and at 330 am she passed away…now the lady told me she only had goopy eyes and it wasnt anything that would make her die…..so after burrying her, explaining to my 4yr old why our new bunny was in heaven…we went right back to the petstore…I was angry and upset, but I also felt alright because atleast she  was loved for the last 12 hrs of her life.

Anyhow…the day we went back to the store my daughter spotted the tiniest black and white bunny … I couldnt let him stay there…so I asked the lady how much he was(bad yes I know) and she gave him to me for free too….atleast I didnt buy him and support them!…..and I didnt buy anything for him there either….. But now my question is…..how do i get him to bond with me? I have had him for almost a month now and he hates me I am sure.  He just learned how to use the litter box, and he has met einstein my hamster..and loves my daughter…but wont come anywhere near me….this hasnt happened to me yet how do i let him know I am nice and wont bite ??

• xxtinkxx
        Participant
        22 posts Send Private Message

hi ,

it would be nice to know what sort of rabbit he is so i have some sort of idea but im guessing a english spot or dutch??? well if its a e/spot hold him for 1/2 a day giving him 2 treats 1 when you take him out of the huch and when you put him back in and also it might sound soft but talk to him rabbits hear key words like good and recognise them E.G say hello just before you get him out everytime you do and he’ll think yey im getting out or good and give a treat and say good every time thats all i can tell you till i can find out more about him my email is xxjennifer_kittyxx@hotmail.co.uk mail me if you need more info!!!

jenni xxx

• Scarlet_Rose
          Participant
          4293 posts Send Private Message

Since he is new to your home it may take a bit for him to settle in and know he is in a forever home. Offer a few treats and sit on the floor with him. When he comes up to you offer a goodie and eventually he should let you pet him a few times. What a sad story with the other bunnies, but I am glad you have found a new companion rabbit.

• MooBunnay
            Participant
            3087 posts Send Private Message

Hello & Welcome!

I was so sad to hear your story about your little bunny that passed away. I recently lost a baby bunny, and felt the same way, that as least she was able to be loved for a short time, and passed away in a safe place.

I am quite sure that your bunny likes you very much I have two more skittish bunnies that just love my BF, but when he walks up to the cage they scamper away because he is much taller than me and so they get frightened. It has helped a lot now that he brings a small treat he goes up to their pen, so they associate him with treats. Also, if he does pick them up, he only picks them up for long enough to transport them to the couch where they sit with us. I think that bunnies are for the most part pretty fearful of being picked up, and the best way to bond with your bunny is sit down at his level rather than make him nervous by bringing him up to your level. I think that its great just to sit in a pen, or on the floor with your bunny and let him explore, and sniff at you. It may take a little time, but by letting him get used to you I’m sure you will share a bond very soon!

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bunny wont bond