Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bunny w/ possible mites, what should be our next step s?

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
    • Marshmallow
      Participant
      29 posts Send Private Message

Our bunny Marshmallow has been itching more frequently and has also developed a bald spot sparse gator along the back of his neck. Taking note of this we immediately stared to watch him more closely and inspect him thoroughly. We started inputting his symptoms into Google and came up with all fingers possibly pointing to mites. So I brought him to the vet, to where the vet looked at him and did a tape test to look at under the microscope to where he did not find anything, we asked him about a scraping, but he said he is fine and it is not worth stressing him further and he is fine with a clean bill of health. It is worth mentioning we are working through a small mice problem in our attic but no signs of them in the main part of the house, I am not sure the two can be related
        It is two days later the vet sent us home and marshmallow is still scratching a lot along with a balding spot on his neck, what do we do from here, we don’t want to see him get worse? Help!

• Bam
        16877 posts Send Private Message

Do you see any dandruff around the bald spot? Any white-ish scabs? Pictures would be really helpful. Many of us here have dealt with mites, it’s so common. It’s often difficult to catch mites with a tape test. For this reason, tests often come back negative even if there are mites. Many vets choose to treat with a bunny safe antiparasitic anyway, because mites are very, very common in rabbits, and if the problem goes away with treatment, you have your diagnosis.

You could call your vet again and ask kindly if they could prescribe some Revolution (selamectin) or give him an ivermectin shot. Tell them he’s scratching himself and seems uncomfortable. An alternative perhaps worth considering would be to try and find another vet.

Now a warning that we always issue in cases of suspected skin parasites: Never use any compound containing fipronil on a rabbit. Fipronil is sold OTC under many names, and it’s fine for dogs and cats, but deadly toxic to rabbits. One common brand name is Frontline, another is Sentry, but there are more so watch out.

• Marshmallow
          Participant

Thank you bam, we see no white spots (though our bunny is white albino) we see no dandruff or crusty skin, in fact the skin under him looks pretty good. Mostly very concerned about the itching and hair loss. I did want to add our bunny is only 4 months old as well. I do have a nice comprehensive video that you can see several angles and perspectives but I do not know how to add my video to the forum yet. I will
            Work on a photo now.

What are some side effects of revolution? We just want what’s right for marshmallow, we love him so much.

• Marshmallow
            Participant

Hi Bam & other Bunny friends,

Here are some pictures of our marshmallow for you to review, he is still itching every few minutes. Please let us know what we should do? If there is anything else you need from us I will be happy to get it for you!

• LBJ10
              16908 posts Send Private Message

Well, it doesn’t look irritated or anything. I don’t see any dandruff. If it were me though, I would just treat with Revolution (Advantage is ineffective against fur mites). If it helps, then keep treating. If it doesn’t, then no harm done.

Just as a public service announcement… do not use anything containing fipronil on rabbits. It’s sold under various name brands including Frontline, PetArmor, Sentry, and others.

BTW, I fixed your pictures.

• Marshmallow
                Participant

Given its a 4 month old baby Revolution is 100% safe and has no side effects? We don’t want to stress the bunny for what may be nothing, however we want this best for him always. 

• LBJ10

Revolution is approved for use in rabbits 8 weeks and older. Dosage based on body weight. I don’t see how it would cause any stress. You just dab it on between the shoulder blades. If you live in the US, you do have to get it from a vet office though. I have had no issues obtaining it. I just call my vet and say I need to buy some. After all, it is used to prevent fleas and some people allow their bunnies to have time outside. But different vets have different policies.

• Marshmallow
                    Participant

Thank you LBJ10 I will call him today!

• Marshmallow
                      Participant

Do we think it could be a shed, we haven’t had a shed yet until now as he is just young yet. The skin looks very good no flaking or dandruff, just itching and thinning hair/bald spot. Should we still do revolution?

• Deleted User
                        Participant
                        22064 posts Send Private Message

I know I’m a little late to the party, but I think it could be shedding. Asriel tends to itch a lot if it’s a particularly bad molt. Currently his hip area looks like he’s wearing a feather boa xD but it’s also causing him to itch a lot. With mites you’d definitely be able to see the flaking. When mine had mites, even on Asriel’s white fur I could see the flakes.

• Bam

You could wait and see. If it’s mites, I think you should be seeing some flakes pretty soon. The skin also gets thicker/rougher where there’s mites. It stays white though and the scabs are a yellowish white.

It’s normal for buns to shed in patches. And it can absolutely itch. You can sometimes even see a bit of dandruff, but not at all as much as you see with mites.

• Marshmallow
                            Participant

No harm in doing a topical revolution treatment as LJ mentioned? We’re overly worried like new parents are lol

• Bam

No, there’s no harm in it. It’s just that all antiparasitics just like antibiotics should be used wisely because resistance can develop among the parasites/bacteria. It’s like when you put iron curtains over shop windows, burglars will figure out how to make their way through the roof instead. This is probably why it is prescription only in most parts of the world.

• Deleted User
                                Participant

My vet basically said the same thing. Even though she saw photos of them prior to their exam, she didn’t want to prescribe it without a scrape test.

• Marshmallow
                                  Participant

What do you all suggest we do? Most people are telling me he is shedding and the tell-tale symptoms (dandruff, flaking ) of mites or any skin condition aren’t there, all we know is that it itching and some pretty noticeable hair loss.

• Deleted User
                                    Participant

It couldn’t hurt to ask another vet to maybe do a scrape test, if you’re really worried about it and the other vet won’t do it. Otherwise I’d just keep checking it every few days for flakes just to be extra positive.

• Marshmallow
                                      Participant

Thank you Asriel! I missed your comment earlier, however I just reread it and it makes me feel a whole lot better hearing experiences. Bamy and LJ you two were super helpful as well. I’m feeling better and less worrysome lol.

• LBJ10

If insecticides are overused, then yes there is the concern that mites (or any “bugs” really) will start to build immunity. But if the bald spot doesn’t show improvement or gets worse, it won’t hurt anything to treat for mites just in case. If you think it might be heavy shedding, then it doesn’t hurt to wait to see if the fur starts to grow back. I just made the suggestion because there are false negatives, even with skin scrapings. We’ve seen it several times on BB. Bunny has mite-like symptoms, skin scraping comes up negative, bunny is treated with Revolution anyway, and (surprise, surprise) the treatment resolves the problem. Something to keep in mind for sure. But, in no way am I saying you have to do it. There’s nothing wrong with being more conservative and waiting.

A&B gave you some good advice based on her experience.

• Bam

In my opinion, this comes down to how much he is itching. Some itching is normal with shedding, but if he seems to be itching a lot, I think I’d ask for some Revolution. It’s really stressful to be itching all the time. Does he try to reach the spot at the nape of his neck by standing on his back legs and turning his head? My Bam did that when he had mites, so much so that he fell over backwards. A bun can’t reach that spot, so that’s an open field for mites to thrive in. How is his fur at the backside base of his tail? That’s another spot where mites like to hang out.

This doesn’t look like typical mites, but as with any ailment, not all cases are textbook. And as has been pointed out, testing often comes back with false negatives. When I suggested you wait, I didn’t mean for a long time, I meant sth like a week. But if he’s scratching himself vigourously and seems very uncomfortable, a week would be too long.

Viewing 18 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bunny w/ possible mites, what should be our next step s?