Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bunny Vs. Stairs

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • K F
      Participant
      33 posts Send Private Message

Our new house bunny, Hercules, (whom I’ve been discussing in the health care section) seems shy of our stairs.  I never thought about it, until he approached, trying to follow me, and happily hopped onto the first one, then jumped back down.  I’d rather he stay downstairs of course.  lol But, can rabbits effectively climb stairs?  Thanks. 

• poopy
        Participant
        684 posts Send Private Message

Yes they can, I have seen it in videos. But mine haven’t warmed up to the stairs yet either, so this is perfectly normal. It could take a long while for them to gain confidence in exploring that part of the environment.

• skunklionshow
          Participant
          1257 posts Send Private Message

Trigger and Oreo Cookie, two of our therapy bunnies, always climb steps.  We have to keep the doors of our hallway closed or else they will run all the way up to the third floor! 

My bunny from childhood, Elliot, used to run up/down the stairs w/ the dogs.  I don’t think he understood that he was a bunny.

Jessica stays put in the livingroom.  That’s just fine b/c there’s too many nooks and crannies throughout the house that she may get lost in.

• wendyzski
            Participant
            1312 posts Send Private Message

I don’t have any stairs, but Pepper climbed up a wooden bunkbed-style ladder to get up to a loaf of tea bread on a table.  That bun can do ANYTHING if there is food involved….

• Faye Perry
              Participant
              114 posts Send Private Message

One of my buns, Booboo flies up the stairs! we had to get a special gate to stop her, and everyday without fail she goes to the gate and rattles it to see if theres a chance she can get up the stairs.  If we do allow her to go up (when we’re with her) she loves it, and will go up and down, up and down, until we tell her she has to go down, then she goes to the bottom step and tries to sneak up past us!!

Mable has not even bothered to climb the stairs – i’m not sure she’d know what to do.

• Hedi
                Participant
                969 posts Send Private Message

Our buns have their own bedroom-but its on the second floor. They race all day long back and forth since they get to run freely. Pookie once stepped wrong and rolled halfway down the stairs but she was fine. They have both been able to use stairs since they were babies.

• K F
                  Participant

Poor little Pookie.  I’m glad it turned out fine.  Well much to our surprise, Hercules suddenly ran half way up last night.  I just kind of watched, to see what he’d do next.  Then he turned around, and came hopping right back down.  lol  Hercules, well, I’ve never encountered a bunny like him ever.  He acts more like a dog, than a rabbit.    Either someone took a lot of time in training him, or, he’s just "one in a million".  In the next week or so, I am hoping to get him to a vet and get him neutered.  I am hoping to bond him with another bunny we have.  They have been rubbing faces, as she is in her cage, and he roams the house.  But I don’t want any little baby bunnies.   

• K F
                    Participant

Well, an update… Hercules has not only conquered the stairs, but… I have been continuously getting woken up each morning by him jumping on me. lol I had to block the stairs off with a tall gate, because he was forgetting his litter habbits. I am thinking he was just having a bit too much room to roam. After putting up the gate, he is right back on track.

• cookie627
                      Participant
                      387 posts Send Private Message

yes bunnies can climb stairs. I have seen my bunny Cookie climb stairs a couple of times

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bunny Vs. Stairs