Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bunny ‘Tricks’

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
    • sevyn
      Participant
      68 posts Send Private Message

Hey guys, me again
        Well, to the most part, I’m having a fine time getting my new bun used to the place. Lately I have been working on trying to teach her some ‘tricks’ but, to the most part, I’m lacking inspiration I’ve managed to get her to somewhat respond to the word ‘treat’ – in more cases than not, she will run over to me and stand up in expectation of a treat, and it’s adorable. She also comes running as soon as she hears my closet open because she knows that’s where I keep her food and treats! (Lucky for me, she hasn’t caught on to what the fridge opening means yet!)

I was wondering if any of you have similar kinds of things your bunnies do, either that you taught them or that they learned on their own,  or any ideas for me? I know she’s not meant to be a showcase, but I’d love to be able to communicate with her a bit better and this seems to be helping us bond (which is never a bad thing!)  Thanks as always!

• (dig)x(me)x(now)
        Participant
        2517 posts Send Private Message

When he chooses to listen…

Frankie knows the point and “go home” or “get in your cage,” although he tends to give a disapproving look more than listening.

He also knows “up,” where he stands up on his hind legs on command. He always seems willing to do this.

• lucygoosey
          Participant
          42 posts Send Private Message

Lucy also knows the point and verbal command "home"… and sometimes when she chooses to listen she will come when called.

As for tricks she’s learned on her own… she knows to follow her food bowl when I pick it up and refill it. She will sit right beside your leg and wait patiently (sometimes not so patiently) as we cut up and prepare her veggies.

The only thing I’ve managed to teach her is not to jump into the fridge when it’s opened. She’ll stand right beside it and temptingly look in but she won’t go in because she knows if she goes in, mommy will sweep her right up and she hates being picked up. (Although that doesnt stop my boyfriend from testing her… he thinks it’s amusing lol).

I think that’s about it. I find it’s easier to teach bunny things if you set it into their routine. If you do the same thing every day at around the same time (or situation) they will seem to understand. Especially for bad behaviour, always follow with a consequence. For some, it’s the spraying with water (my bunny seems to like it believe it or not!) and for others it can be a loud noise, or like Lucy being picked up after she’s done something bad (I also tap her nose as I lecture her.. she hates that as well).

Good luck!

• Scarlet_Rose
            Participant
            4293 posts Send Private Message

My two are pretty individualistic and know a few things: when I point to the cage and say "in" they go inside and if I make a kissing noise they come running. It’s pretty cute! Oh and I am going to start clicker training this weekend too, but first I want to read up on it.

• MooBunnay
              Participant
              3087 posts Send Private Message

Hmmm unfortunately my bunnies know ZERO tricks but they are able to identify between the rustle of a bag of baby carrots and the rustle of an ordinary bag – and practically stand on each other’s heads when its the carrot bag. Also, they all run mini circles in their pens when they hear the *cling* of the metal measuring cup in the pellet bin…I’m working on the clicker training with Grace – so far we’ve established that when she hears the click I am in her cage and she doesn’t lunge at me!

• sevyn
                Participant

Hrmmm, I remember a friend who had a dog who was clicker trained, but I never thought it would work for bunnies? Very neat idea, please keep me posted on how it goes! I might try it myself sometime if it looks promising

• kralspace
                  Participant
                  2663 posts Send Private Message

My outgoing he/she bunny, Pringles has created a ‘slip and slide’ from a sheet I left on the floor. She spends a lot of time bunching and arranging it, then comes running at it and with a huge leap lands on the edges so it she slides on her belly for about 3-5 ft. Then she binkies and starts rearranging it for another run. I’ve seen her do it 5 or 6 times in a row before getting distracted by some other activity. If I want to keep her busy, I can fold the sheet and it takes her a long time to undo it.

Sometimes when she’s on the sheet, I’ll pull the edges up and wrap her loosely and she roots around for a way out or just lounges around like a bump. She must enjoy it, because as soon as she finds a way out, she burrows right back in. Too bad it was one of my favorite sheets….lol

Kathy

• sevyn
                    Participant

Aww, that’s adorable. I wish mine was so feisty Outside her cage, my bunny usually comes over, sniffs me, and then grunts and sulks about me being in her space for a little while (spoiled little girl!). But she always gets over it and apologizes in an irresistably cute manner by grooming me a little. Unfortunately, after that, she usually just goes and crawls under my bed for a nap in the shade. Her and I will have to establish some (more interesting) out-of-cage games, heh.
                      Shame you lost a good sheet to your bun, but at least it sounds like she’s having a blast with it I gave my bunny one of my old sheets and it only lasted a couple of days because, sure, she had fun bunching it and arranging it, but she also turned it into a washroom for some reason. It’s all small towels and cloths for her from now on, lol.

• kralspace
                      Participant

My 2 bunnies are opposites, I had Pringles for 3 months as an ‘only’ bunny, but she’s been very outgoing from the minute we stepped in the door. I’m ashamed to admit we bought him from the feed store (I didn’t know about the shelters and resues at the time), he was in a big cage with lots of siblings. We got home and put his cage in the living room floor and opened it up and he binkied for 2 days straight. It was the scariest thing I’d ever seen. I guess he was pleased with his cage setup because he’d sit in there and binkie from one wall to the other, then run out and do it all over the room, the couch, us, etc.

He’d been home for about an hours when he ran under a desk and did a head first flop and I thought he was dying! My son suffers gran mal seizures and I swear I thought Pringles was having one. Now I know he was just happy, but geezzz.

My newest one, Daisy, is quite the opposite. So quiet and shy she won’t come out of the cage. When I had the 2 small cages side by side in the living room during the bonding weeks, she’d come out for a bit, but since I built the 3 story condo, she won’t leave it. She doesn’t act frightened or anything, is just very content in there and with Pringles rambunctious company.

• (dig)x(me)x(now)
                        Participant

Kathy, Pringles sounds like a blast to have around! I swear my Frankie is getting lazier by the day! Haha. I’m heading to the HRS store tomorrow to pick him up some new toys, though. Hopefully he’ll find them interesting!

• Scarlet_Rose
                          Participant
                          4293 posts Send Private Message

I’ll be sure to  keep you updated on the clicker training, I am a bit nervous because I will have to do it with two bunnies at the same time, but maybe they’ll do great.

• Vinnie D.
                            Participant
                            55 posts Send Private Message

No formal tricks but Nel does do a few things.  She knows "comere" means to follow me.   Though she sometimes chooses to ignore this when there are more interesting things to be seen.  If she’s hiding and I say "where’s the bunny?" She runs out of hiding.  More importantly she knows "NO!" and will drop what she’s doing and run up to me with a look that says "I’m showwy" then I can’t stay mad at her.  If you’ve seen those big pinkish red eyes of hers in that pouty look you’d melt too.  Strangely though she never quite understands that if I tell her "no" she should not only stop what she’s doing but not go back and do it again a minute later.  Lessons don’t exactly stick.  I’ve compared having a bunny to having a kid before.  I’d imagine it’s much the same.

Cuter things I’ve tought her are spinning.  She won’t do it on command but a tap on one hip when she’s feeling playful will send her into a tail chasing twirl.  If I put a finger against her nose and go "gimme kisses" she’ll lick my finger.  I want to teach her "up" because it’s adorable when she stands up on her hind legs.  She also seems to just know when I’m bringing carrots or treats home.

I joke that I’ve taught her "sick em" because she’ll chase the cat  out of the room, though I think she’d do that anyway.

• (dig)x(me)x(now)
                              Participant

Wow, Nel sounds like a great bunny! Very smart.

"Up" is very easy to teach. Frankie got it in less than a day! Bunnies are naturally curious, so holding your hand above them makes them want to know what’s there anyway!

• Hedi
                                Participant
                                969 posts Send Private Message

All my buns know what it means when I tell them to go to bed or its bedtime. They all understand "down" or "off" if they are on something they arent supposed to be in. They listen to the word "no" most of the time if they are being bad.

My buns arent much for tricks except Carrera likes to take clothes off my stuffed rabbit lol

• BinkyBunny
                                  8776 posts Send Private Message

Sevyn – Rabbits can be clicker trained! I took a class and we practiced on shelter bunnies. They learned things in a very short amount of time.

I haven’t followed through with clicker training lately though. Lazy!

My rabbits know treat (easy to teach)., ohhh, and Bailey knows "litterbox". 

I just recently taught Rucy to leave Jack and go up to the 2nd shelf in her pen. I say "up up up". It was still pretty easy because it’s all about the food. Jack and Rucy were getting fat, and I needed to start feeding them separately. I started putting her pellets up high, and placing her up there during her dinner time. Then she began going there at dinner to wait for her pellets. Then on off times I would throw some pellets up there and say up, up, up at the same time. She first would respond to hearing the pellets up there, but then I began saying "up, up, up" and I think because she associated those words with being up high and pellets, she just started responding to the words. It sometimes would take a bit for her to get it, but now I just say those words, and she’s jumps up on the second shelf.

• (dig)x(me)x(now)
                                    Participant

I got a picture of Frankie doing "up"

184315357271.jpg

• kralspace
                                      Participant

aaaawwwwwwwwwwwwww, that’s an overdose of cute!

• Gravehearted
                                        Participant
                                        2428 posts Send Private Message

aww Frankie is too cute!

my bunny Viktor will dance standing on his back paws for treats, it’s really cute.

• sevyn
                                          Participant

Awww, Frankie is so cute! I love his colours, they’re gorgeous

Viewing 18 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bunny ‘Tricks’