Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Bunny Treats

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
    • Toki+Pumpkin+Elmo
      Participant
      319 posts Send Private Message

I use the bunny treat recipe from HRS and have been living by that recipe for awhile now. I try to give variety by replacing different fruits at each time.  I was windering if there’s any other healthyrecipes I can use.  A whole bunch can be found online but they all don’t seem healthy.

1 small carrot, pureed
        1/2 banana, mashed until really creamy
        1 tbsp honey
        1/4 cup rabbit pellets, ground finely in a coffee grinder
        1/4 cup ground oats, ground finely in a coffee grinder

• Scarlet_Rose
        Participant
        4293 posts Send Private Message

I made my own version, although I don’t know what you mean by “unhealthy,” perhaps you could be a little more specific?  That way we can chip in with exactly what you are looking for.  My two never get bored with this recipe and so I’m lucky in that respect so I haven’t experimented more. Here is the recipe anyway:

Bunny Cookies

1 29 oz can of pure pumpkin (not pie filling, it has spices)

1 or 2 bananas, mashed whatever size you have (Make sure they are at perfect ripeness ie a tad green, not beyond or it will cause stomach upset & diarrhea.)

2 tablespoons honey – you can omit this if you wish or I just use 1.

1/2 cup organic quick oats

7 cups organic oat flour

2 jelly roll pans or cookie sheets

Combine, pumpkin, mashed banana, honey and oats, mix well. Slowly add flour cup by cup (you’re looking to make this dough a pizza dough consistency) until ready to roll out onto a floured surface and knead for about 5 min or until elastic. Split dough in half. Roll each out to be about 1/4 inch thick, sprinkle bottom of pans with quick oats, then transfer dough to pan and press to adjust to size of pan. Cut into 1 inch squares with a pizza cutter or knife. Repeat for other half of dough. Bake at 275 degrees Fahrenheit until golden brown and dry (about 2 hours, maybe longer), but not burnt on the bottom. You’ll want them to be good and dry. It may take longer where you live depending on humidity.

Store extras in the freezer and thaw a bunch as needed. This batch makes enough for several months. These cookies should be given sparingly (one per day for large bunnies – 7 pounds or more and 1/2 of a cookie for smaller breeds) as they can be fattening and you don’t want your bunny to have too much. You may want to cut them in smaller squares, bear in mind they shrink after baking. I use oat flour instead of wheat as I think it is a more digestible grain and easier on bunny tummies. I buy my flour and oats from my local health food store as they sell it cheaply in re-packaged plastic bags in the refrigerator section. Some stores sell it in bulk too. Of course you can shape them however, just be sure to keep the portion right for your bunny. = : )

• bunny04
          Participant
          15 posts Send Private Message

Hi,

I found the HRS website for bunny cookies as well. I like the idea of making cookies at home rather than buying the store bought junk cause its not healthy at all. I made a few changes to the HRS recipe and this is the one i bake for my bunny…he lovesssss it!! I changed the recipe to make it healthy, this is my version.

Finely grounded rolled oats
            Finely grounded timothy, oat, orchard hay (i had some extra hay left over so i grounded that very finely and put it in)
            Finely grounded timothy pellets
            Mashed banana and papaya
            Honey
            Fresh cilantro

I like the idea of pumpkin, i think i will use that instead of the banana next time. Instead of fresh cilantro you can add in mint, parsely, basil etc.

At the end it was a dough mixture..so it turned out quite well.

• notjulesverne
            Participant
            207 posts Send Private Message

Thanks for these! I recently started feeding my bun alfalfa and I noticed a bunch of leaf “crumbs” at the bottom of the bag. I don’t want to put these in his cage, since it would just stick all over his fluffy butt and thought that thesre must be some kind of rabbit snack could make with them, so I will give this a try! Maybe substitute them for the rolled oats.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
              Participant
              12067 posts Send Private Message

Is it OK for bunnies to have oats? Just in moderation? That’s what always worried me about these cookies-otherwise, gosh darnit I’m gonna learn to bake!

• Scarlet_Rose
                Participant

Hi K & K! Yes rolled oats and barley are O.K. for your rabbit, so are whole grain treats as long as it is in moderation, 1/2 teaspoon per pound of body weight per day. Some vets will also tel you to give them to your rabbit if they have runny poo. However it is best to avoid giving grain treats to a rabbit with any kind of digestive problems. The good thing with these recipes are that you can cut them in any size/shape that you want that is appropriate for your rabbits weight. I cut mine in 1″ squares for my two and they are 9 pounds each. For smaller breeds, you might want to make them 1/2″ in size.

• ScooterandAnnette
                  Participant
                  1090 posts Send Private Message

Scarlet Rose, I’m just curious: have you or any other human tried your recipe? I’m wondering because there’s nothing in your recipe that you and I can’t eat. We’ve baked the HRS recipe and a few variants, and we’re certainly not too interested in them ourselves since they’re bunny-pellet based. That and the fact that the whole house smells like baked peat when they’re in the oven!

• KatnipCrzy
                    Participant
                    2981 posts Send Private Message

I have baked dog biscuits in the past- and basically have been told that they are very bland-as I do not use recipes that call for any sugar to be added- so the only sugars are from ingredients- peanutbutter, applesauce, etc.  Dogs love them though.  2 of the reviews were from willing participants that knew it was a dog cookie- and the 3rd review was from a co-worker that saw the cookies that I made at Christmas time on the break room table- and he tried one.  LOL.  I was bagging them up for our Santa Paws event the next day…. and I am know to bake goodies to share with everyone.  It was not intentional- and he wasn’t mad, he just thought I made some crappy cookies at first.  The other 2 people that tried them were guys too- so what does that tell you?  LOL.

All of the ingredients are just typical baking stuff out of the cupboards.  The parrots eat them too.

Julie

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                      Participant

I had no idea!! I have minute-whole grain-quaker oats…Are these OK to give? I’m wondering because Kokanee is having runny poo (we did see the vet) and I’d love for it to stop!!

• Scarlet_Rose
                        Participant

While quick oats aren’t recommended for some reason I just can’t recall at the moment, it should be OK, check with your vet first though.

Scooter – That is funny you should ask about that, there was a group of kids that tried them (4) I made them for my bunny sitter as a gift and she left them on the counter. There was no label on them and her kids and friends were hungry so they saw them and decided to try them, thinking that they were crackers. They said they were good but could use a little salt! LOL

• kimberleyanddarren
                          Participant
                          2520 posts Send Private Message

i will try these recipes! thanks! keep them coming plz! my local pet store sells like 2 varieties of bunny treat as there rabbit section sucks 😐 so it can get a bit boring for them, also i tried rocket leaves with my bunny and it gave him poopy butt just to let anyone no

• Scarlet_Rose
                            Participant

What are rocket leaves? Most treats sold in pet stores aren’t good for your rabbit anyhow so it’s best to make your own or go the natural rout with fresh or dried fruit. : )

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                              Participant

Yeh, what are rocket leaves?

• Scarlet_Rose
                                Participant

K & K you’re up too? I guess I am not the only night owl tonight! : ) LOL

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                  Participant

LOL me you and Rupert…Dave, Kokanee and Kahlus are in bed I’m seeing what kind of music Rupert likes….So far, cowboy by kid rock seems to be a hit!! LOL

• Scarlet_Rose
                                    Participant

I thought David Bowie was the favorite?

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                      Participant

LOL I was just telling my mom someone’s bunny liked david bowie!! I’m soo d/l ing some right now! We’ll see what he does!

• osprey
                                        Participant
                                        2065 posts Send Private Message

rocket (UK) == arugula (USA)

not sure about Canada and Australia

• Scarlet_Rose
                                          Participant

Oh my two love arugula and have no poopy butt from it. That’s good to know that it may cause it though, thanks!

Viewing 18 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Bunny Treats