Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Bunny suddenly peeing on his beds

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • GipsAndLenn
      Participant
      25 posts Send Private Message

My neutered rabbit never use to pee on anything other than in his litterbox but recently I have found pee on his bunny beds, why has this suddenly happen (btw my buns live outside but they come into my room (where the beds are) to play) I don’t know whether this habit will stretch to peeing on the carpet and anything else as well. He loves flopping on his beds but if this continues he won’t be allowed them 🙁

• RabbitLove2008
        Participant
        14 posts Send Private Message

Does he have any new roommates that are making him territorial, perhaps causing the peeing? In my experience, neutered males are less likely to engage in territorial peeing than spayed females, but our current male, “B,” is very much a territorial pee/pooper, more than any male we’ve ever had!

• DanaNM
          8901 posts Send Private Message

Some buns really like to pee on soft things, so beds don’t really work for them. Is it restricted to the beds, or is he having accidents elsewhere? Peeing in new places can also indicate a UTI or other bladder issue.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• GipsAndLenn
            Participant

Its only the bunny beds that he had been peeing on. He hasn’t had any new roommates but Lennon (his sister that lives together with him) recently got spayed, would that cause it, he only started peeing on beds after Lennon’s spaying.

• DanaNM

Her spaying could have been the trigger, because spaying causes some hormonal fluctuation that could trigger marking in the other bun.

Keep a close eye on them, sometimes there can be fighting due to these hormonal fluctuations. If you notice an increase in mounting, chasing, or any fur pulling at all you’ll need to separate them and go through the bonding process with them.

I would take away the beds for now just so it doesnt become a habit. Then in a few weeks you can try re-introducing them and see if it’s still a problem.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• GipsAndLenn
                Participant

Okay, thanks. There has been some loose fur, mounting and chasing going on, but not too “aggressive” just Lennon grunting. Do you think thats a sign to rebond them or is that just a little dust up between them as they settle down again. Lennon got spayed 3 or 4 months ago now.

• GipsAndLenn
                  Participant

I haven’t actually seen them pull each others fur out, it could be molting…?

• DanaNM

If you are seeing fur clumps around, it was likely pulled, especially if you are seeing mounting and chasing.

They may not need a full rebond, but could need some work to fully re-cement the bond. And if they spend a lot of time unsupervised I would be hesitant to leave them alone together.

Do you have a neutral area you can work with them in? They could just need a weekend together in a neutral space with supervision to get them all happy and strongly bonded again.

• GipsAndLenn
                      Participant

A neutral space to live in over a weekend, or just a couple hours a day? The problem is both of my buns live outside in a hutch, my parents won’t let them sleep inside overnight. They also think that the buns are perfectly happy with each other and definitely don’t need to be rebonded in a neutral area!:(

• DanaNM

You could start with a few hours a day, but ideally to “cement” a bond they should spend at least 48 hours together (and have no aggression during that time).

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Bunny suddenly peeing on his beds