Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A bunny sneezing

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
    • Nicci607
      Participant
      320 posts Send Private Message

we had an appointment with a new vet and she has asked me to get childrens benadryl liquid for my bunny. the dosage is 0.1 – 0.2 ml twice a day. bunny weighs 5.3 pounds.

she thinks my bunny might have allergies.

when I got home from the vet I looked around for some childrens benadryl and could only find the childrens benadryl liquid bubble gum flavor. I thought that was ok. but I called the vet the next day [she wasn’t in that day but I got a message from the receptionist]. she said any flavor of childrens benadryl liquid would be ok except it can not contain aspertame, sucrolose or xylitol. the bubble gum flavor has saccharin sodium and sorbitol in it.

I told the vet I was concerned about pasteurella. she said she is not showing any signs of it. she is sneezing once in while and she makes kind of snoring noises mostly at night time. she did not make those noises when we were at the vet. she thinks she might have some congestion.

she also has an irritated left eye. she got gentomycin eye drops for that one drop twice a day.

the vet also felt her teeth from feeling outside and she looked in her mouth also. she said her teeth looked great. I had taken bunny off her pellets because she scared me when she ate some pellets and she kind of  spitted some of  them back out. but then she picked up those pulverized pellets and ate them.

I’m just not sure if this is the right treatment for bunny or if benadryl is safe.

bunny shakes her head a lot and was also tested for mites. bunny was pretty uncomfortable with the right ear. the vet said there were no mites but she gave her a dose of ivermectin 0.1 ml orally anyway.

I’m really confused right now and don’t want to give my bunny the wrong thing or start any wrong treatments!!

• Beka27
        Participant
        16016 posts Send Private Message

i have not heard about giving Benadryl at all… i’m curious to know if anyone’s heard of doing this…

• KatnipCrzy
          Participant
          2981 posts Send Private Message

Benadryl is a common antihistamine used in humans and pets- the drug name is diphenhydramine.  I would call you vet to clarify on what ingredients it must not contain- because if you are giving the liquid from without artificial sweeteners- you will be giving a liquid from with a sugar-type sweetner- does your bunny do OK with sugar/fruit in its diet?

Benadryl can make a pet or person sleepy when they first start taking it- but your body usually adapts and then you are able to function normally.  An excessive dose can cause hyperactivity and insomnia.  One of the good things about benadryl is that it is so often used to treat other allergic conditions that it is unusual to see a pet that is allergic to the drug itself.  So there are possible side effects- but they are minimal and a good first choice of treamtent.

• BinkyBunny
            8776 posts Send Private Message

Any infection my bunnies have ever gotten, they have been given baytril. My vet has never prescribed benadryl even when Bailey was dealing was what we thought was an allergic reaction to something. So this is something that is not common to me. However, from what I have researched benadryl seems safe with correct dosage from your vet. I don’t know anything about the flavored type, but when I checked on etherbun, it seemed that many people used the flavored type without problems, but if I were you, I would call my vet, and talk directly to her about it, not rely on the receptionist.

Also, how long is she on those eyedrops for? I have read where longer term use may not be good, especially if you have an older rabbit (how old is your bunny?)

Let us know what the vet says about it.

• Beka27
              Participant

what is she saying she might be allergic too? i don’t suppose they can do test on them for allergies, but i wonder if you can start eilminating specific things in the environment. that would be a better long-term solution.

• MooBunnay
                Participant
                3087 posts Send Private Message

Are there any strong scents or perfumes near your bunny’s cage? Mine have a tough time dealing with scents like laundry soap, perfumes, or sprays like Febreze. Also, have you noticed if it is particularly when your bunny has just eaten some hay? Sometimes hay can be extra dusty and make bunnies sneeze.

I have not previously heard of Benadryl being prescribed, however, I do have several bunnies with allergies, but I do not give them any medication for it, I just try to keep their cages as dust free as possible, and not spray any strong scents near them.

• Nicci607
                  Participant

thanks for all your advise and info.

I have been looking for some childrens benadryl liquid and can only find the bubble gum flavor. this has saccharin sodium and sorbitol in it. the vet said it can not contain aspertame, sucralose or xylitol. but I think saccharin and sorbitol are artificial sweeteners as well, right?

I’m gonna call the vet this afternoon about that. they offered to call in a prescription to my local pharmacy if I am uncomfortable with the benadryl over the counter. 

I am a bit cautious with that vets diagnosis of allergies, tho.  that benadryl would dry out mucous as well. I’m somewhat just not comfortable with the benadryl.

actually I think mold or fungus might be responsible for her noisy breathing. we had some water damage a while back but mold can be spreaded through the air condition. otherwise our house is just very dusty. since we moved in here I myself started to have allergies. it sure could be something else in the house. at the vet and in the car her breathing was normal.

her noisy breathing is not all the time. but it scares me.

I don’t think its the hay. I don’t use perfumes. but I do spray air fresheners or sometimes lysol.

bb:

the gentamicin eye drops I am giving her for fourteen days. she is 8 years.

if it is mold or fungus related how would the vet test for this?

• Beka27
                    Participant

has the vet suggested an air purifer? that might help you as well if there is a lot of dust in the house… they can be kinda expensive, but it might be a better long-term solution…

• Sarita
                      Participant
                      18851 posts Send Private Message

I do have a rabbit that snores too. It’s only when he’s resting that he makes this loud breathing/snoring however he does not sneeze. I’ve never had him tested or considered using any kind of medication on him – it seems to bother me more than it does him.

I’m not certain there is a way for the vet to test an animal for mold allergies or not since there are so many types of mold – you can have your home tested for this however and since you had some a/c water damage your home is a candidate for mold.

• Nicci607
                        Participant

hi sarita:

how does this snoring sound like? she mostly has this noisy breathing when she is resting too. but I’m just wondering if it is a congestion and if… where does the congestion come from??? I’m just worried with the benadryl because that also dries up secretions. it somehow just don’t sound right to me with the benadryl.

plus the vet prescribed antibiotic eye drops but thinks its allergies?

well, if there is mold in the house…how can one get rid of it? is it safe to still live here in this house?

• Sarita
                          Participant

It does sound like a snoring to me – pretty much noisy breathing and I can hear it in my bedroom and he’s down the hall. I don’t think it’s congestion in my rabbit though – I think it’s just snoring since it only happens when he’s resting and relaxed.

• kralspace
                            Participant
                            2663 posts Send Private Message

here’s what you need Sarita

11014214478871.jpg

• Sarita
                              Participant

LOL – too funny!

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A bunny sneezing