Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A bunny size

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • lunavenus
      Participant
      176 posts Send Private Message

So I’m going to get two holland lops this friday but was curious if you can pre-determine how big they’re going to grow by looking at the size of their ears? Also, are all holland lops dwarfs? or do some come out as false dwarfs?? Thanks! 

• Mikey
        Participant
        3186 posts Send Private Message

According to this page ( http://rabbitbreeders.us/holland-lop-rabbits ) and many others on google, it looks like all Holland Lops are minis/dwarfs. They shouldnt be about 4lbs or less. I dont think you can tell any rabbits size based off their ears; our Mini Rex has big ears for his breed, but hes also a bit smaller than most bucks his breed

• LBJ10
          16898 posts Send Private Message

Ears have little to do with body size and more with breed. Hollands are a dwarf breed. They carry the dwarfism gene. So, yes, there are false dwarfs. You can usually tell by the shape of their head. A true dwarf will have a smooshed nose and block head. A false dwarf will still have a similar head shape, but not as block-like and the nose slightly pointier (not as pointy as other rabbit breeds though, like a Rex). When they grow up, they will often exceed the 4lb limit. But they won’t be HUGE because the breed is still a small breed.

• LBJ10

This site has a nice picture of a true dwarf and false dwarf side-by-side. Notice there isn’t much difference in ear length. Their head shape is different though and I think you can see that pretty well in the picture.
              http://www.thenaturetrail.com/rabbit-genetics/dwarf-gene-dw-falsedwarfs-peanuts/

• Mimsy
              Participant
              271 posts Send Private Message

I read that whole article. It seems rather irresponsible to even try breeding dwarfs. poor little peanuts.

• lunavenus
                Participant
                176 posts Send Private Message

Oh okay, I looked at the article earlier but I was just curious. I’ll love my bunnies unconditionally wether they are true or false dwarfs
                  I just needed to know to make sure the cage i made them won’t be too small and I won’t be so shocked in the future if they grow slightly bigger than I anticipated.

• LBJ10

Well, bigger is always better so it certainly wouldn’t hurt to make it bigger. But like I said, a false dwarf will be bigger but they are not large bunnies by any means.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A bunny size