Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Bunny-safe mopping

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Borya02
      Participant
      93 posts Send Private Message

Hey folks, wanted to run a question by you. My bunny has a rather large enclosure. I have not done a very good job of mopping it and want to start mopping it properly so it’ll be clean for her. I know to use just a simple vinegar solution as that is safe for her. But i’m in a conundrum about how to actually do the mopping. I figured you guys might have good ideas from your own experience.

Let me explain the situation. I have a microfiber mop, with reusable microfiber mop heads. I could use one of those just for her enclosure. The problem though is I feel like I need to clean it right afterwards, every time I use it, as there will be a lot of bacteria, etc. on the mop head – I don’t want that sitting around . I would want to wash it properly with bleach probably – so I’d find myself having to run the washer just to get that one mop head clean. I could mop only when I have a load of heavy duty laundry, but I’m only one person and that would take forever to build up, so I wouldn’t be able to easily mop her area often. (My home is small, and even if I mopped the entire rest of the house at the same time, it would only use up one other microfiber pad.) Alternatively, I was looking at disposable mopping solutions (like the swiffer wet jets, etc.), but I find two problems: (1) a lot of those disposable mopping solutions seem to have chemical/cleaner built in, not safe for bun, or (2) the mop heads for those things are so expensive! Do you guys have any ideas on how to accomplish this? I feel very confused on how to best do this. Figured you guys had ideas. Thanks in advance for any advice.

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

How big is her area? Would it be very impractical to just wipe it down by hand with paper towels or rags?

For my buns, I sweep the area daily (or every other day if I’m really honest about it lol), spot clean if there are any pee accidents or water spills, and then probably every week or two I wipe down their pen floor with rag or paper towel and vinegar solution.

If you sweep first and then use a microfiber mop, I don’t think it would build up a lot of bacteria as long as you allow it to dry before you wash it (rather than sitting in a wet heap in a hamper). So you could just rinse it out and then let it dry until you have enough laundry to justify a whole load. Or even hand wash it and hang it to dry?

Not sure what kind of mop you have, but some are set up so that you can even just attach a rag instead of the microfiber mop head if you wanted to use something that would be easier to clean and dry. I used to do this with my swiffer in the past when I got tired of buying the disposable sheets.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Borya02
          Participant
          93 posts Send Private Message

thanks Dana, you are always full of great ideas. It is reassuring to hear the thought that maybe i can just let it dry until i have enough laundry to do. since posting this thread, i’ve found some cheap disposable mopheads (knockoffs for the swiffer) that i think might attach to my microfiber mop. i’m going to give those a try. i think it might end up being cheaper than wiping down with paper towels as her area is pretty large.

• DanaNM
            8935 posts Send Private Message

You’re welcome 🙂

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Bunny-safe mopping