Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Bunny playing with kitty?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • Hammieboy
      Participant
      6 posts Send Private Message

Hi everyone! We have a 9 month old Flemish Giant and a 3 month old Kitten. They are definitely buddies and sleep together and snuggle etc. Today, the kitten was playing in a typical kitten way…jumping on Claude the bunny and rolling around in front of him and he jumped towards her…like lunged sort of and pushed her back and then he did some binky’ing. So at first I thought he was mad but then the binky threw me off. He sort of chases her. I don’t want to allow her to bother him but I kind of think he’s learned to play like her…but is that even possible? His ears are up and forward when all of this happens if that makes a difference. Any insight is welcomed!

Thanks in advance!
        Kelley

• Bladesmith
        Participant
        849 posts Send Private Message

My Clover and Dawn play with our cats all the time. What you’re describing is normal. The only thing I’d caution you about is that kittens don’t always mind how rough they can be with their claws, so always monitor their playtime. Accidents happen. But sound like they’re buds. Post pics, we love seeing Flemmies and their buddies!

• Hammieboy
          Participant

Thank you so much for your reply! I can’t figure out how to get a photo to attach?! It says my file type isn’t accepted. I have iPhone photos?

• Sirius&Luna
            Participant
            2319 posts Send Private Message

Bunnies do binky in the wild to escape predators, so I wouldn’t assume that its necessarily playful just because you see a binky. It’s hard to know without seeing the interaction first hand.

I think an ear forward is a bunny being alert, but I’m not 100% sure.

Unfortunately you can’t upload photos straight from your phone, it has to be a desktop.

• DarthVadar
              Participant
              198 posts Send Private Message

With rabbits, ears tell all. If a bunny’s ears are forwards, he is being alert, friendly, and is not scared. If the ears are sitting back (not tensely pinned to the head, just resting), he is relaxed and maybe dozing off. One ear resting back and one ear forward is alert and content. Both ears pinned back, usually accompanied by bugged out eyes, thumping, and flattening, means the rabbit is terrified. If he acts like this, remove him from the situation immediately.

• Hammieboy
                Participant

Thank you! His ears were def up and forward. And when he wasn’t running around he was just sitting like normal. Not flat. So I think he must have been being playful as well. No thumping etc. But I’ll keep an eye on him for sure!

• Asriel and Bombur
                  Participant
                  1104 posts Send Private Message

Here’s a good guide on bunny ears and what the positionings mean http://www.clickerbunny.com/rabbit%20behavior.htm

Both ears up with inside of ear facing forward – friendly, happy bunny

Inside of ears turned outward – getting annoyed

One ear up and one ear down – more annoyed, could go either way

Ears up with inside turned to back – annoyed, getting angry

Lays ears back from position described above, crouched body – prepare to be bitten

Looks at you and waggles ears – happy, wants to interact

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Bunny playing with kitty?