Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Bunny peeing on floor

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • wicked witch
      Participant
      14 posts Send Private Message

Max is 9 years old and he has been litter trained since he was about 5 months old. I got him from a shelter so he was fixed before I could bring him home. We made a long move to a different state about a month ago and he is now in a new home. He will poop in his litter box once and awhile but always pees on the floor. I have been using dog pee pads to protect the floor and to make cleanup easier. Is there something I can do to get him to go in his litter box all the time again?

• LittleLionMan
        Participant
        133 posts Send Private Message

Hi! I have a 5 year old male who is litter trained but will also randomly pee outside his litter (boys, amirite?). Im by no means a professional, so maybe others will be able to chime in. But as far as I understand, the first question is whether he is marking his new territory or is he changing his litter habits entirely? Here are my — again unprofessional — thoughts if his litter habits have changed:

1. Is he displaying any signs of discomfort or illness? Sometimes changes in litter habits are indicative of underlying medical issues.
          2. since your bun is 9, is it possible he’s having a harder time getting into his litter? They make low profile litters with cut out entrances that may be helpful.
          3. if getting in isn’t his issue, and he’s neither marking nor sick, then maybe he’s expressing his preference for a specific spot. you can try moving his litter there or getting another box entirely and placing it in that area.

I will also add that my boy spite pees outside his litter if I’m not paying “adequate” attention to him (aka I’m rudely working on my computer). he such a butthead and will literally glare at me as he pees. I’ve found washable puppy pee pads on Amazon that I love — cheaper than disposable, eco friendly, and very absorbent.

im sure others will have more advice for you. Good luck with your little cutie!

• Wick & Fable
          5781 posts Send Private Message

Moving to a brand new place can very well cause a rabbit to pee outside the litterbox. Rabbits feel secure in places that smell like them, and peeing is a great way to spread that scent. It should decrease overtime, but reinforcing litterbox habits by temporarily restricting space can be helpful, some say.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• DanaNM
            8930 posts Send Private Message

Is he always peeing on the floor in the same spot? Does he ever pee in his box?

When buns get older, they can start to get a bit lazy with box habits, so sometimes a box with lower sides can help.

I also just moved and it took Bun Jovi about a month to stop marking the room. He still has some occasional accidents, but he’s also 12 so I cut him a break. :p

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Bunny peeing on floor