Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Bunny only thumps at me

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    • joy
      Participant
      4 posts Send Private Message

Hey guys. I have a 11 month old mini lop that always thumps at me 🥲 I’m working from home so I have the most interaction with him. Do you guys know why is he thumping at me? It affects me so much when he does that! 🥲 for instance, he was munching on his hay and I went to top up, went back to the store room to keep the hay and went back to check on him. He hopped out and under couch and started thumping at me. Can you imagine my confusion 🙄

• Bam
        16877 posts Send Private Message

Rabbits can thump for a variety of reasons. It is thought that it’s  “purpose” is to warn rabbits that are under ground of dangers.

You may have startled your bun, which would be the most likely reason why he thumped.

Fear is however not the only reason why rabbits thump. Rabbits can thump, so thumping in their behavioral repertoire. Their repertoire is somewhat limited since they cant speak etc, so they have to use a limited set of behaviors to express a wide variety of emotions, demands and needs. Pretty much all rabbit behaviors need to be interpreted in the context in which they are displayed.

How do you react when your bun thumps? You may have reacted in a way that the bun perceives as a success. If you back off when he thumps, he will quickly learn that thumping makes the hoom go away. Every time you respond to the thump by backing away, this thumping is reinforced.

I had a bun who came to realize that if he thumped in the middle of the night, the hoom (I) would get out of bed and give him a treat. Thus he thumped every night until I understood that there wasn’t actually anything wrong with him when he thumped, he just wanted his 2 am treat 😬 The solution was of course to not get up and fuss over him.

Rabbits can thump when they’re annoyed with you, f ex after nail-clipping, and they can thump out of sheer lust for life when they are zooming and binkyingv around in a room.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Bunny only thumps at me