Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Bunny not laying down anymore

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • Bunnymama37
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

Hi,

This is my first time on here so hopefully someone will be able to help me! I have an 11 month old mini lop and he has always been one to flop and “sploot” and just lay down a lot. Recently he has been drinking a lot of water and peeing a lot (his pee has also gotten stinkier). I took him to the vet and they gave him medicine for a UTI and after the medicine he was still drinking and peeing a lot. So I got his urine tested and they said the test came back good with no indication of a problem. Well since he began drinking more about a month ago he doesn’t flop or lay down anymore. He will “loaf” and sit up but he’s never on his side or stomach like he used to be. He’s been eating normally (always excited for greens and pellets and eats plenty of hay) and his behavior is pretty normal. I was just wondering why he might not be laying down anymore. He doesn’t seem like he’s in any pain or that anything is wrong, I know bunnies don’t show pain in normal ways and you need to look for behavior change but the only change is him not laying down. Should I take him back to the vet and ask about it or does that sound silly? Sorry for the long post but if anyone has any ideas on why he wouldn’t be laying down anymore please let me know! Thank you

• DanaNM
        8930 posts Send Private Message

Hmmm, it does sound like there might be some sort of pain happening… Has the vet checked his teeth? One of my buns had some serious dental issues and he would drink a lot and pee a lot.

It might also be good to do blood work to see if something is going on with his kidneys.

Is he neutered? If not, that might explain why he got stinkier

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Sir Ollie
          Participant
          61 posts Send Private Message

I was also going to ask if he was neutered. My bun is almost four months and hasn’t been laying down the last few weeks either. Around the same time he stopped laying down he also started drinking and peeing more and went from peeing almost exclusively in his litter box to peeing everywhere. I chalked it up to hormones because this started happening right around 3.5 months. He is scheduled to get neutered in mid January and has his consult on the 8th so I’m hoping that’s all it is and isn’t something more serious.

• Bunnymama37
            Participant
            2 posts Send Private Message

Thank you for your replies! Yes he got neutered a couple months ago. I checked his teeth a couple days ago and I thought they looked fine but maybe it would be best for the vet to check and get blood work.

• FlemishDad
              Participant
              114 posts Send Private Message

What a rabbit eats can affect how its pee smells. If I give my Xavier a lot of bell peppers, pee-yoo! You might cut back a bit on pellets too. Parsley has a reputation as a diuretic and I am sure there are others. Kidney failure is a common cause of polyuria but typically pee gets less smelly with it so that is a less likely diagnosis.

I would not worry too much about how your bun is choosing to rest. My bun is flopping less recently but I think in his case it is because he wants to be ready to run into the kitchen and beg for treats!

• Rachelmoon
                Participant
                1 posts Send Private Message

Hi there, can I ask did you ever figure out what this was because my bunny is currently having the same issue? Thanks I’m advance

• DanaNM
                  8930 posts Send Private Message

Hi Rachelmoon, since this is an old thread, you may not get many responses. We ask that members don’t reply to old threads to avoid confusion. It would be best to start a new thread with your question. Let me know if you aren’t sure how to do that. 🙂

I will close this thread now.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • The topic ‘Bunny not laying down anymore’ is closed to new replies.

Forum BEHAVIOR Bunny not laying down anymore