Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Bunny may be hurt – Very scared

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • twigglybun
      Participant
      7 posts Send Private Message
        Okay so this may be disorganized but I have to ask you guys what you think. I’m going to do a bullet point timeline to help illustrate the various things that’s happened. Basically, the worst thing that happened was she appeared to have fainted or something.

• YESTERDAY: I went into another room to get my bunny some food. My roommate was around as she was sitting in my chair as she usually does. Suddenly she jumped off the chair and straight into the wall nearby. Apparently there was a thud and she slid down the wall. When I was told of what just happened my stomach felt sick but I kept an eye on her and she seemed completely normal and happy.
        • TODAY: This morning she was totally normal as we did our routine of giving her new hay, refreshing her water, and offering her a little bit of pellets. Throughout the day she seemed to be a bit more tired. That was evidence by her staying in her carrier more often.. which is where she slept. I stayed up pretty late studying last night so I figured that I might have thrown off her sleeping schedule just because I wasn’t in bed (no idea if that’s true). Then I brought her into the living room. She was on the ground for a bit, ate a little bit of hay, but quickly she wanted to rest on the couch and my chair. I snuggled up to her and she seemed okay, although her one ear appeared to be extra itchy, but I figured that maybe she had an annoying hair in there. I took a few photos of her with my camera.. and I regret that I used flash once. She seemed kind of freaked out by that so I comforted her and gave her a handful of mint. She ate it up and then flopped on my chair. I thought she was just happy and relaxing so I did some schoolwork nearby her.
        •  THE ISSUE: Then I decided to offer her a small sliver of apple, and I found it strange that she was disinterested. I held it up to her mouth and she turned her head away. Nervous, I offered her a small amount of banana and she ate most of it. Then I tested if she’d eat her pellets: she refused. This had me very nervous.. I quickly put her into her x-pen in my room to see what’d she do. I had fresh hay and water set up but she instantly went into her carrier. This is the part that scared me. She layed almost on her back (but mostly on her side) inside of the carrier, and just froze there. She didn’t look comfortable at all and her eyes were open. I went inside the pen and called her name and she wasn’t responding. Upon closer inspection I saw some of the white of her eye and she was looking down for some reason. This terrified me and I called and spoke with an emergency vet. As I was explaining, my bun returned to sitting normally and the vet told me to let her rest and have space. She said she may have an injury and the pain could be interfering with her appetite. I’m going to monitor her and see if she poops overnight but I’m just so worried. Currently she appears to be loafing and stretching outside of her carrier, even eating hay.
        • TOMORROW: First thing in the morning I will be determining if she’s improving or if she needs to go straight to the vet. I’m just so afraid and I was wondering if you guys have any advice or ideas…
        Update: She snuggled with me for quite a bit and her tummy appeared to be making a few sounds. I rubbed her belly and added some blankets in her carrier so she’ll keep warm. Then she ate some hay and drank water. Overall though, she felt weak.
        Thanks for reading.

• JackRabbit
        Participant
        5451 posts Send Private Message

Don’t give her anymore sugary treats or mint for now. Just hay and water tonight. You can try handfeeding pellets if she isn’t eating much hay. If she seems to be pressing her tummy to the floor or can’t seem to get comfortable, she may have gas and you can give her baby gas drops (simethicone). Its always a good idea to have bun checked out by a rabbit savvy vet after a potential injury since buns hide pain so well.

• twigglybun
          Participant
          7 posts Send Private Message
            Thank you. I will definitely restrict her to hay and keep an eye on her. I do have some drops so I’ll just try that as well if she seems in discomfort (not really sure if she is). I realize I should get her into the vet tomorrow even if she seems fine.

Update: I gave her .3 ml of some gas drops

Update 2: Gave her .2 ml more, and she has started pooping. She’s drinking a lot of water and munching on hay! Thank goodness.

• Q8bunny
            Participant
            6345 posts Send Private Message

Danger averted, from the sounds of it. The shock of the collision may have triggered a little episode of stasis… but keep on keeping an eye on her. And feel free to keep the simethicone going for as long as you deem necessary – there’s no danger of too much in buns.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Bunny may be hurt – Very scared