Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Bunny may be becoming aggressive?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • Peanut's Owner
      Participant
      3 posts Send Private Message

I have a rabbit who is 10 months old and neutered. I got him when he was 6 weeks old and handled him everyday. He has always not liked to be picked up or held but I figured that was because rabbits don’t like to be picked up.  He lives outside in a hutch but I try and let him out everyday for a few hours to run around. During this time I provide boxes, newspapers, and other items for him to play and explore with. He has always gone to the back of his cage when I go to get him but I have always been able to get him out of his cage with no problem. Recently he has started growling and boxing at my hands when I try to take him out of his cage. He has not bit me but has scratched me. I am worried he will become aggressive and then I will not be able to handle him. The weird part is once he’s out of his cage and in my living room he will hop right up to me and sniff and nudge me. He will even jump in my lap and sit for a few seconds before hopping down to explore some more. I don’t think he is scared of me but he is maybe becoming territorial? I don’t want him to turn into a aggressive rabbit. 

Thanks for the help!

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

Rabbits can get cage aggressive when they are always picked up from their cage, and rabbits as a rule do not like to be picked up.

So, that’s probably why he is reacting that way towards you. He knows he’s about to get picked up, and does not like it. It sounds like it’s not you specifically, it’s that he knows you are going to pick him up.

Is there a way you can build a ramp for him to come in and out of his hutch on his own? You can also try training him to hop in his carrier, and then carry him to the play area that way. Many members here do that with their bunnies. Some people also carry their bunny in their litter box, which might work too.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Peanut's Owner
          Participant

Today I tried letting him to the cage door on his own and then pick him up. The problem is his hutch is on the side of my house so I can’t let him just hop out or I’m afraid he will get away from me. But I will try the carrier idea. Thank you!

• Robyn M.
            Participant
            2 posts Send Private Message

Yes, my son , who is afraid to carry our rabbit, compared to my daughter who is the ONLY one who is able to carry him!, will transfer him from in to outdoors in the carrier.

• DanaNM

Feel free to update on how it goes, and ask for tips if it’s not working! I think most people use treats.

It also might help to work on visiting him a lot where you only give a treat, and don’t pick him up. That way when he sees you he doesn’t immediately think he’s going to get picked up.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• YandereCapybara
                Participant
                58 posts Send Private Message

I have similar experiences wi my bun.
                  He will thump, growl, bite and scratch younger children as he associates them with being picked up.
                  We managed to get him accustomed to our cousin by making him slowly approach Gary and petting his cheek, and not touching anywhere else.
                  He’s alright with everyone else, though.
                  Maybe it might be because he thinks you’re going to pick him up?

• Peanut's Owner
                  Participant

I think I am definitely going to try visiting his cage more often without picking him up. I also have a hard time catching him when he is out and I assume that is because he doesn’t liked to be picked up? When he is out and walk to pick him up and put him away he hops just far enough away so I can’t reach him. His ears aren’t down and he doesn’t sprint away so I don’t think he is scared, I think he just knows he’s about to be picked up and doesn’t want that. Is this a correct assumption?

• alltheprettybunnies
                    Participant
                    8 posts Send Private Message

I don’t think he sounds aggressive as much as it sounds like he is not cool with you picking him up anymore. Like ever. So if I were you, I’d only pick him up to trim his nails or check on him but not daily.

Bunnies get less okay with being picked up as they age. They are in a vulnerable position that makes them easy prey and their instinct tells them to fight. If you’re taking him from the hutch to your house you may want to move the hutch closer and get him a ramp or something. My bunny is 8 months old and was spayed a couple of months ago and now she’s being very persnickety. I have a feeling that’s not going to change but- I’m the boss. We’re negotiating things at this point.  Good luck!

• DanaNM

Posted By Peanut’s Owner on 3/04/2018 11:31 PM

I think I am definitely going to try visiting his cage more often without picking him up. I also have a hard time catching him when he is out and I assume that is because he doesn’t liked to be picked up? When he is out and walk to pick him up and put him away he hops just far enough away so I can’t reach him. His ears aren’t down and he doesn’t sprint away so I don’t think he is scared, I think he just knows he’s about to be picked up and doesn’t want that. Is this a correct assumption?

Yep, this all sounds like he is just fed up with being picked up! 

Unless you can rearrange things so he can come and go from his hutch on his own during play time (maybe move his hutch???), then I think carrier training is the way to go! 

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Bunny may be becoming aggressive?