Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE Bunny Manure?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • ALRyder
      Participant
      30 posts Send Private Message

Has anyone here used bunny manure in their gardens? I saw a post on Facebook the other day requesting bunny manure. This got me curious and I did some research. Apparently, it’s really good for your plants and doesn’t need time to sit like a lot of other manures. I’m just curious if anyone else here has collected their rabbit’s droppings for this and what success they’ve had.

• Bam
        16838 posts Send Private Message

Oh yes 😃

My seedlings in the window get bunny manure, my allotment plants do too. Its great that it doesn’t have to mature before use. Its also comes very practically pelleted!

• ALRyder
          Participant

Lol. Yes, one article I was reading called them time capsules, because of the way they release slowly. How do you collect yours and how often do you put it on the soil? We have a grate on top of our litter box. So, I thought it would be fine to take both the hay and manure and use both.

• DanaNM
            8901 posts Send Private Message

yes! They won’t “burn” your plants they way some manures will. I will occasionally just grab a handful of the poops and toss them on top of my potted plants. I don’t really have a great system though or know if that’s the ideal way to do it. I imagine you could also break them up a bit or even bury them. I compost everything else (the bedding and hay from the litter boxes).

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Bam
              16838 posts Send Private Message

I compost the litter outside, in compost bins (warm compost), together with mown grass and leaves, but for my indoors plants, I collect stray poopies and also pick out some from the boxes.

I’ve never worried too much about dosage, I put in perhaps 10-15 per smallish seedling pot. My plants thrive to the point of me soon not having enough window space for them, so I think the method works 😃 (They’ll go outside in mid May when frost risk is over).

• Sonn
                Participant
                1810 posts Send Private Message

Yes. I have for years with both my indoor and outdoor plants. They thrive more than I’ve ever had plants thrive before.

• prince dorian the bun
                  Participant
                  743 posts Send Private Message

I do what @Bam does. But I also sometimes throw a handful of pellets in some water (roughly a 1/8 ratio, but it’s far from precise) and then just let it sit a couple days in a sunny window and use it to water my plants. I found that worked better for houseplants as the smaller pots the pellets just sort of sit there and don’t break down.

• Ellie from The Netherlands
                    Participant
                    2512 posts Send Private Message

My in-laws have a vegetable garden, and were really happy to let the rabbit out before sewing the new crop. My BF’s previous rabbit had a favourite spot for her droppings, and the raspberry bushes that were planted there grew higher than the fence.

They were less happy about her getting into the vegetable patch after the seeds had sprouted. They forgot to put back one pole of the fence, and she got into the patch with the bean stalks. They were left with a bunch of sticks with some withered bean stalks on them, all neatly cut off at 30 cm above the ground, which is exactly the length of a small Netherland Dwarf standing on her hind legs! 😆

• ALRyder
                        Participant

Now that is really funny about the Netherland Dwarf in the garden. Hey, that could be a fun book title. I can just imagine the frustration, but at the same time, you’d only have yourself to blame for the bunny escape.

So, once a week I’ve started refilling my watering can with water and a handful of pellets. I then let it soak for a day or two. Once I come to the end of watering, I dump any pellets leftover into my plants (I didn’t give the pellets quite enough time to fully dissolve). We’ll see how it goes. I’ve never had a green thumb, though I always try. I have a tendency to do really well for a few months and then something always goes drastically wrong and everything dies. I’m still waiting to see if the blueberry plants I planted last year survived the winter, but the strawberries are actually starting to grow back which is great because we eat a ton of fruit and my daughter never eats the butt end of the strawberry. So our buns luck out too!

• Ert000
                        Participant
                        130 posts Send Private Message

This topic is also interesting for me. Sometimes people want my rabbit’s poop from me, to fertilize. How rabbit poop is used as fertilizer? Are you putting the poop directly into the soil? Is the fertilizer preparation process done before?

Love for animals is the escape of human from human..

• ALRyder
                            Participant

It seems like everyone has a different way of doing it. Though, from what I’ve read here and other sites the most popular ways seem to be dissolving it in water, adding it to compost, mixing it with potting soil, and using it as a topsoil. When I was reading more about mixing it with your potting soil, it said that this also helps with drainage. As a topsoil one site I read suggests using a 1/2 inch to a full inch of bunny manure on top. That seems like a lot to me, but I’m not the best gardener so I really don’t know for sure. I suppose it also depends on how big of a space is that you’re planting in.

• Ert000
                              Participant
                              130 posts Send Private Message

My mother-in-law built a small vegetable greenhouse on her balcony. She wants my bunny’s poop all the time, for fertilizer. But doesn’t know how to use it as fertilizer. You give information and the subject helped me a lot. Thanks 😊😊

Love for animals is the escape of human from human..

• ilovelionheads
                              Participant
                              9 posts Send Private Message

We def use bunny poo in our garden and in our indoor plants. I planted some seeds in a pot and it didn’t start growing until I put some bunny poo in the soil.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE Bunny Manure?