Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bunny making choking noises

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • Sterling
      Participant
      69 posts Send Private Message

My bunny Quincy, who I have had for almost 8 years and she is probably at least 9 or 10, has for the past year or two been making choking noises when she drinks water. Not every time I don’t think, but most times. It almost sounds like she’s coughing water back up or something. However, she’s started making these noises even when she’s not drinking. She’ll just be loafing around and suddenly make a choking/coughing type noise that sounds… wet. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be?

• LBJ10
        16910 posts Send Private Message

Hmm… could she be aspirating when she drinks?

• Sterling
          Participant

I honestly have no idea. When she does it it’s only once or twice and then she’s good. I’ve brought it up with two different vets and neither seemed concerned but now it’s happening more frequently and I don’t have any idea what it could be, especially since she’s doing it while not even drinking now.

• Sterling
            Participant

I should add that she’s doing really well otherwise. Great appetite, no weight loss, lots of energy. You’d never guess she’s as old as she is. I’m not sure if this is something I should be super concerned about.

• Wick & Fable
              5782 posts Send Private Message

I think w/ this being concerning the throat/neck muscles and potentially respiratory issues, unless you spend the resources to do some imaging, we will unlikely be able to pinpoint an answer. I recommend another vet visit considering the increased frequency and discuss what diagnostic testing may be informative. There could be something lodged/lingering somewhere in the respiratory system or perhaps something is manifesting and causing irritation.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• LBJ10
                16910 posts Send Private Message

Yeah, it does sound like something is wrong, but it would be hard for us to guess. I’m just speculating here. My thought would be something is going on with her ability to swallow. Or she aspirated something already and this is somehow connected. Again, that is just me speculating. I agree with Wick that you should talk to your vet to see if there are tests that would be affordable, informative, and not too stressful. Considering her age, it may not be worth doing a bunch of extensive testing, especially if the outcome will be the same. However, if this is something as simple as aspiration (and subsequent pneumonia), then a vet may prescribe an antibiotic.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bunny making choking noises