Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bunny longevity

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • LittlePuffyTail
      18092 posts Send Private Message

I’ve seen many different suggestions as to how many years a bunny usually lives (about 7-12 years).

I’m just wondering if bunnies are like horses and dogs wherein the smaller breeds tend to have a longer life span than the larger breeds. I’m hoping this is true cuz I have two wee buns.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
        Participant
        12067 posts Send Private Message

I’ve heard that smaller breeds live longer; I’ve read full size is up to ten years and dwarves are ten plus; I am sure it’s a huge variance because it really depends on quality of care, vet care etc. But I’ve defo heard that dwarves live longer!

• osprey
          Participant
          2065 posts Send Private Message

It is my understanding that the smaller breeds live longer in captivity than the larger breeds.  I don’t know about the medium sized ones.  The large breeds have been selected for traits that make them good farm animals (large size, fast growth) and what I read somewhere was the extra size is harder on their hearts as they age.  It is also easier for a dwarf rabbit to get reasonable exercise in a small space.

• Beka27
            Participant
            16016 posts Send Private Message

i did a search and this is something i came up with.  it’s only one source and i don’t know how correct it is… it looks like it’s just someone’s personal page.  i don’t know if anyone has any more concrete info.  i’m certain it will also vary depending on the quality of care and regular vet attention.

"Rabbits generally live 8 to 12 years (if they do not develop cancer or contract pasteurella). The oldest rabbit in the Guiness Book of World Records died at the age of 18. Teenage rabbits are common. Larger breeds generally have shorter lifespans than dwarf breeds. Purebred rabbits generally have shorter lifespans than mixed breeds. Lops (all kinds) and Netherland dwarfs are known for their longevity."

http://www.fishpondinfo.com/rabbits/rabintro.htm

• Sarita
              Participant
              18851 posts Send Private Message

Well this is from House Rabbit Society:

http://www.rabbit.org/fun/life-span.html

• MooBunnay
                Participant
                3087 posts Send Private Message

I have some bunnies that I think have such strong rabbitude that they will probably live forever just due to their extreme dissaproval of death Henri will probably look death right in the eye, give a loud **THUMP**, then settle into a nice loaf position and continue to live forever.

• babybunsmum
                  Participant
                  3896 posts Send Private Message

lol moobunnay!  i agree   i think baby bun is on borrowed time because of extreme rabbitude.  i’ve said that for years now, but seeing how her life has changed since her mastectomy it seems like she’s saying ‘oh yeah?  well take THIS!’ more than ever.

• (dig)x(me)x(now)
                    Participant
                    2517 posts Send Private Message

Ah, Moobunnay, you always make me smile. You rock!

• wendyzski
                      Participant
                      1312 posts Send Private Message

BunBun (who belonged to someone on one of my other bunny groups) lived to be 16!  If you google images of "bunny yawn" the Dutch in most of the first few pics is/was BunBun.

• Ash
                        Participant
                        165 posts Send Private Message

moobunnay- too funny!! LOL!!

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bunny longevity