Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Bunny keeps biting wound.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
    • Hyper
      Participant
      6 posts Send Private Message

Please help. My rabbit developed a sore on her dewlap that she kept on biting and licking. Now it got bigger and is bleeding. I got her an appointment to get checked but it is still next week. Any recommendation what can I use for her wound? Or anything I can do to keep her from biting her wound? I believe it’s d/t pain or itching. My poor baby🥹. Any suggestion is appreciated.

• Bam
        16877 posts Send Private Message

If she keeps hurting herself, you can make an e-collar out of a paper saucer. You tape it shut with for ex electrical tape so she cant remove it herself. Buy a whole pack of small saucers/plates o you can exchange daily after wound care. She should get some time without the collar on every day, but under strict supervision so you can stop her if she starts to self-mutilate again.

The wound should be cleaned. You can put neosporin or triple antibiotic cream (plain, no cortison or painkiller added) on it. Neosporin/triple antibiotic is OTC in the USA. If you are in Europe, you can use fucidine cream, which is OTC in several EU countries, but not all.

She is probably biting it due to some type  discomfort, pain or itching. Rabbits that are really bored (f ex spend a lot of time sitting in a smallish cage, with no human present in the room) can also self-mutilate.

A pregnant or pseudo-pregnant (false pregnancy) doe can pick the hair from her dewlap to make a nest, but this as a rule wont cause sores because the hormones (same in pregnant and pseudo-pregnant does) make the hair loosen so it’s not hurtful to pull out.

It’d be really good if you could move the vet appt up or maybe ask the clinic to prescribe some meloxicam (antiinflammatory painkiller) that she can have until they have the opportunity to see her.

Is she eating and pooping like normal?

• Hyper
          Participant

Yes she is eating and pooping the same. I just bought Neosporin. That is the soonest day I can get for the appt, but I can call again to get a prescription for Meloxicam. Thank you so much for answering! Means so much!

• Bam

It’s great that she’s eating and pooping!

She might become very cross with you for having to wear a paper collar, but it is necessary that she cant hurt herself more, and she mustnt lick off the neosporin. It’s not toxic or anything, but it needs to stay on the sore to have effect.

• Hyper
              Participant

Yes, she is not happy about the collar. I got another appointment for tomorrow from a different clinic.

Thank you so much!

• Bam

Oh, great!

• LBJ10
                  16908 posts Send Private Message

Bam made some good suggestions. I’m glad you are able to take her to a different vet so she can be seen sooner.

• Hyper
                    Participant

We got some atbx and meloxicam for pain. They also send an ointment for her. They don’t recommend an e collar since the location of the wound is on her neck. If wound and URI does not improve after two weeks, I might consider a surgery for that dewlap that they suggest.

• LBJ10
                      16908 posts Send Private Message

Surgery? You mean to close the wound?

• Hyper
                        Participant

She said something about removing the dewlap or closing the wound, depending on how bad it can get after the meds if it’s not improving.

• Bam

I’m glad you got her seen! Fingers crossed the meds will help so she doesnt need surgery.

• Hyper
                            Participant

Yes, thank you so much!

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Bunny keeps biting wound.