Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Bunny is acting different after bonded

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Cinnimon&Ollie
      Participant
      300 posts Send Private Message

My bunny cinnimon used to always want to petted never didn’t. Now that she is bonded she barely ever does and when she does it is only for a second and of you do it ever so slightly different then she wants you will get nipped it doesn’t heart but my mom runs and daycare so I don’t want a kid to go in my room and get nipped… some of the kids don’t listen very well. Ollie her bonded mate doesn’t like to be touch at all if that has something to do with it maybe?

• Wick & Fable
        5781 posts Send Private Message

It can be the case that once bonded, a rabbit may not be as open/willing to interact with humans since they now have a companion that speaks their language and who is with them 24/7. It can be upsetting as the owner, who is used to getting cuddles more often, but be happy in knowing that this is a sign that your rabbit is now feeling well-supported and loved by their bonded mate.

In terms of kids, I would make sure the kids do not have access your rabbits as best you can. Regardless of how your rabbits act (bonded or not), rabbits and kids do not mix well and most rabbits will end up nipping and/or being stressed by kids who are not properly educated on rabbit care.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• DanaNM
          8930 posts Send Private Message

Have there regularly been kids interacting with her? It could be more due to her developing a fear of people due to that, rather than a result of being bonded. I agree with Wick that the kids should not have any access to your rabbits. Install a door lock if necessary.

Other things to think about are hormonal changes with castration and growing up. Sometimes baby bunnies are super cuddly, and as they grow up they change a bit. They usually get closer again as they settle into adulthood.

Aside from that, go back to basics in terms of re-bonding with them yourself. Bonding is stressful on rabbits, with all the handling and changes that happen. So give them some time to enjoy their “bunny moon”, and then just be sure to spend quiet time with them. If you get nipped, you can make an “EEEk EeeeeK!” noise to let her know she hurt you. Bunnies often nip each other lightly, but it doesn’t hurt them because of all their fur.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Cinnimon&Ollie
            Participant
            300 posts Send Private Message

I know it not hormonal she is 2. The kids don’t have access to her but sometimes the one of the kids goes down the hall which isn’t allowed and I don’t want him to open the door where the bunnies are. Door locks are not a option as a parents don’t like the idea. The kids don’t anymore they used to when they where older though. My mom has a daycare and the older kids went to school so younger kids came. The older kids were 5/6 and were only under supervision. I allowed them to pet her on her terms only. Very gentle and they did great so I don’t think that is the reason. I only let kids near them if they do good. The kids were understanding and listen great. She is also great with kids. Cinnimon does the light nipping it doesn’t hurt me though but I want her to stop. I think I will try rebonding. Thanks 😊

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Bunny is acting different after bonded