Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Bunny is a climber

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • TheRicardos
      Participant
      6 posts Send Private Message

One of my bunnies has started climbing into my desk and I don’t know how to stop him. Has anyone else had this problem? How did you deal with it?

• prince dorian the bun
        Participant
        743 posts Send Private Message

I have a climber, but he isn’t very brave when it comes to hoping anything higher than a foot. So I have just learned to move things up, ideally on stools with narrow legs so that he has nothing to help him climb up. If that doesn’t work I put a fence around it. I am trying to figure out how he is climbing into a desk though. Can you describe your set up, type of desk? Might help with helping you come up with bunny proofing ideas.

• TheRicardos
          Participant

It is a desk with a rolling desk chair and I have a dog crate set up at the end. He has run of the whole room but I keep his litter box, food dish etc in it. I uploaded a photo to Pinterest here’s the link https://pin.it/3ToV5Tq.

• Littlemouse93
            Participant
            36 posts Send Private Message

Hi,

One of my rabbits is quite an adventurous climber. I have to be very careful to make sure I don’t provide her with any “steps” to things/places/furniture I don’t want her to reach. I once caught her all the way up on top of a tall bistro table haha (I have since made sure she can’t get up there because I’m afraid she will jump down and hurt herself).

If your rabbit really likes to climb, could you maybe provide him with some more appropriate places to climb? Like cardboard boxes or a small cat condo? I’ve found that redirecting my rabbits by giving them something more interesting really helps.

• Wick & Fable
              5770 posts Send Private Message

If he is not inclined to listen to even after persistent shoo’ing when he does it (hit or miss if rabbits actually learn boundaries without physical barriers), you may need to re-arrange in order to make it work. That is a part of having a free-roam rabbit many times.

As someone mentioned, you could also make the desk less enticing of a spot if you offer another ledge spot instead. I find one of my rabbits especially enjoys “perching” on higher elevations in a room. He enjoyed being on my dresser when I went to sleep (which was higher than my bed), and always enjoyed being on the top level of his old cage. At this point, he enjoys being on the ikea doll bed vs. the floor, because it is slightly elevated as well.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• prince dorian the bun
                Participant
                743 posts Send Private Message

Having the crate right there makes the desk super tempting, I bet he is climbing up via the crate? Is there another spot you could keep it? At least while he is out and roaming?

• TheRicardos
                  Participant

I agree that the crate is how he is getting up (caught him doing it yesterday). I don’t have anyplace else to put the crate. I will definitely try to give him a better place to climb as soon as I can. Thanks you so much for the help ❤️

• DanaNM
                    8901 posts Send Private Message

It might not be the most attractive set up, but I wonder if you could make a cube grid barrier between the crate top and the desk to block access? Mine won’t really hope over just 1 grid, so that could work. You could scooch the blanket over and then attach them to the top of the crate.

LOL cube grids seem to be my solution to all bunny-proofing problems.

He would also probably be much less inclined to hop on top of the crate if you remove the blanket from the top of it.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• TheRicardos
                      Participant

Update: I have rearranged (awhile ago I kinda forgot about this forum) and purchased a cat tree for my bunnies. They love it and Ricky hasn’t been climbing on my desk since I moved the crate and pull out my desk chair when I’m gone.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Bunny is a climber