Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Bunny in airplane

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • Toki+Pumpkin+Elmo
      Participant
      319 posts Send Private Message

I’ll be going to LA this Christmas and plan on staying there for couple weeks. I’ve been looking for a place to board my buns while I’m gone but I’m having a hard time. 

In the worst case, I think I’ll just take them with me.  But I’m not sure how they’ll handle the hour ride in an airplane.  Can they deal with loud noises in the plane?  How about pressure changes as you go up and down?

Any suggestions regarding bunny boarding or airplane would be appreciated.

• Pancake
        Participant
        90 posts Send Private Message

idk but the thing you half to start with I would say is are they even allowed on a plane?

• ScooterandAnnette
          Participant
          1090 posts Send Private Message

It depends on the airline, some will allow them, some won’t. You want to make sure that you’ve picked one that will allow pets in the cabin – I don’t think I’d be happy letting mine travel as cargo. Tegan flew with us on the plane right after we got her and she was just fine, but we had her in the cabin and put the carrier under the seat.

• Gravehearted
            Participant
            2428 posts Send Private Message

I have a few suggestions, since you’re in the bay area. 

I know that Save-A-Bunny in Marin does house sitting. http://www.saveabunny.com/

I’ve also used The Bunny Hay Loft, but I would call rather than email. bunnyhayloft.com/sitting.html    Diane also sells hay from oxbow and other companies too.

The Former HRS group, now called Burrow Inn also does bunny sitting http://www.rabbit.org/foster-homes/burrow-inn/Our%20Services/index-Our%20Services.htm

Rabbit Haven does pet sitting too, but we’re pretty far south from you.

Rabbits can travel by plane, but it can be stressful. Many airlines don’t allow rabbits – but I know Alaska / Horizion and Continental do.  It is essential for the bunny to be with you and not in the cargo hold.  Most airlines only let a limited amount of pets per flight, so you’ll need to call and book ahead.

HRS has a pretty long article about flying with bunnies that should be helpful too.

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-12/to-fly-or-not-to-fly.html

• MooBunnay
              Participant
              3087 posts Send Private Message

I’ve flown a few bunnies around having worked for the Bunny Bunch in LA – and I’d recommend flying the bunnies as a last resort. In most cases, the bunnies I took on trips were quite panicked throughout the whole trip and didn’t eat or drink, and were breathing pretty hard most of the time. I also had a lot of difficulty with getting them ON a flight. AA doesn’t allow rabbits – and Delta allows rabbits but only ONE per carrier. I snuck two bunnies on AA but it was kind of nerve wracking I highly would NOT recommend that technique! Not only is the plane stressful, but the airport is too, so I think trying to find a rabbit sitter is the best idea.

• MarkBun
                Participant
                2842 posts Send Private Message

You may also want to check the local VCA hospitals. Although mine in Oakland is more tailored to rabbits. They even have a cardboard castle that they let the rabbit play in (if you buy the ‘pampering’ service). Unfortunately, for two weeks, yer talking a couple hundred easily.

When I came out here I flew with a bunny who hated my guts. She was just fine though and was the star attraction for all of the flight attendants.

Check airline’s pet policies. For example Southwest does not allow animals on board – unless you can convince them that he’s your seeing-eye bunny.

I wonder if they’d make the bunny & cage go through the x-ray machine…

• Floppy
                  Participant
                  490 posts Send Private Message

seeing-eye bunny, thats hilarious!!!!
                    good to know which airlines will allow bunnies.

• Toki+Pumpkin+Elmo
                    Participant
                    319 posts Send Private Message

The bunnies would absolutely be with me. Between leaving the buns by themselves vs. taking them with me, I wasn’t sure which would be best for them. I tried to buy some hay from The Bunny Hay Loft but she was so busy and could not meet with me. I hope she’s not as busy now.

• MooBunnay
                      Participant
                      3087 posts Send Private Message

just as an FYI – the bunny carrier DOES go through the x-ray – however, you have to take the bunnies out and carry them through the security thing (guess to make sure your bun isn’t carrying a concealed weapon?) That is probably the most stressful part for the human, esp. if you have two buns, you’ve got to somehow get them both out of the carrier and scooped up and then carry them through the screening machine – its not easy!

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Bunny in airplane