Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bunny has bloody wound on back paw- what to do?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • BunBun260
      Participant
      132 posts Send Private Message
        I swear I feel like the worst bunny mom ever. Last Tuesday I picked up my bunnies from a boarding place, to find that they were both covered in wounds (not bad one). The place let them out together and lied about it. My bunnies are not bonded. They are both healed for the most part.

Today I left the house to go shopping, both bunnies in their cages, covers on the top and all. My door was close to keep my cats out as well. Well when I returned home and went to take my male bunny (Bun Bun) out of his cage, he had a giant wound on his back paw. It was scabbed now, but the fur around it was bloody, so I cleaned it up, but I am so lost on what to do. There is also fur missing. Do I take him to the vet? I posted the photo down below, any guesses on what happened? My bunnies are neighbors and I checked their cages to make sure there was no opening, but couldn’t find any. I also checked for blood in his and her cage and found none.

He won’t stop licking at the cut too, which is concerning me. I really need advice, so any will be appreciated it. This has been a really stressful week for both my buns and me. I feel so bad.

• BunBun260
        Participant

Update: he just got the scab off of it and it is bleeding, can I wrap it with something?

• Asriel and Bombur
          Participant
          1104 posts Send Private Message

I’d wrap it with a loose fitting cloth and apply Neosporin (without pain relief) to the wound. I’d also just get him and maybe her into the vet just to make sure they are both okay.

I hate when you entrust your loves to someone and it’s so nonchalant about how they should be handled.

• BunBun260
            Participant

Would a medical type cloth be fine? Or should I use fabric? Thank you for your fast response. I’m so upset by this whole event. They both were doing great with bonding and then I trusted them to follow one rule of not putting them together. I have no idea how he got this wound. I checked my floor and everything, I also vacuumed this morning, so I’m confused.

• Asriel and Bombur
              Participant
              1104 posts Send Private Message

Medical cloth would be fine! Just keep an eye on him chewing it. It could be from the week you were away and now it’s just reopening for whatever reason. So clean it at least 1-2 times a day and apply neosporin to it. I’m sorry this happened!

• BunBun260
                Participant

So is that why I noticed it today? Because he was chewing on it? I’m can’t even express how upset I am with this boarding place.

• Bunny House
                  Participant
                  1241 posts Send Private Message

Poor thing. Anything that he wouldn’t be able to take off and eat is best. Are you taking about like gauze or like the fabric wrap you buy at the store? Something that can breathe and not restrict access is best to avoid bacteria buildup

• BunBun260
                    Participant

It’s kinda looks like mesh or a fish net. It what you would use for humans with a giant cut. I used it before when I got a giant cut on my elbow, I thought it was pretty breathable.

• BunBun260
                      Participant

So I tried wrapping it and he kicked it off every time. He kept thumping his foot until it got off, or trying to rip it off with his teeth. I ended up not trying again after 4 attempts, because I didn’t want him to hurt his foot. I plan on keeping an eye on it, is there anything else I can do?

• LittlePuffyTail
                        18092 posts Send Private Message

I he keeps picking at it, you might need to get him a cone. Necessary evil, sometimes.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bunny has bloody wound on back paw- what to do?