Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Bunny gone mad

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
    • saya836
      Participant
      19 posts Send Private Message

I’ve had my holland lop Kyuubi for over 2 months now, and all we’ve done is love him and spoil him, and just recently we’ve allowed him to run around the apartment.  He found a favorite spot in our apartment in the corner under the table and just today my boyfriend tried to get him out of under that table and he growled at him and pounced.  I’m not sure if this was the correct thing to do but we decided to put him back in his cage as punishment. And after when one of my roomates tried to pet him inside the cage he growled and tried to pounce at her hand.   This has come as a huge surprise to me because he’s always been a well behaved bunny and he is also neutured which i heard improved behavior.  I’m really depressed about his sudden change in behavior and i need some advice.

• Elena Niznik
        Participant
        132 posts Send Private Message

HI saya, i wouldnt worry too much your bunny is displaying some territorial behaviour. Bunnies can be very aggressive when it comes to someone or something entering a place that they call "theirs" for example their cage.

Rabbits often are displeased when you rearrange their cage as you clean. They are creatures of habit and when they get things just right, they like them to remain that way. My bunny Boo hates it when he mate uses her box she will sit for ages rearranging it until its just right.

Most rabbits generally give warning signs before the make an attack. Growling is one of them as well as sitting in a hunched position with their ears down which is their way of  telling you to "back off".

Putting him back in his cage as punishment will not work, Rabbits cannot associate punishment with bad behaviour its not in their instinct. so he wont learn that what he did was the reason why he was put back in their cage.

Try tempting him out with some veggies or a treat.

I wouldnt worry too much how old is he? he might just be going through the terrible teens it might be an idea to consider neutering him so that his hormones dnt make him all crazy.

I hope that helps its upsetting when ur wee bundle of fluff is angry or upset.

• Elena Niznik
          Participant

oops sorry i miss read what u wrote thought u wrote he wasnt neutered apologies. im a plum

• saya836
            Participant

Hehehe Its okay, thanks so much for the reply. Your right about him being territorial because he’s a total sweetie when he’s not under that corner table. hehehe

• Lucy
              Participant
              370 posts Send Private Message

Hi!
                Your bunny sounds like my Fujoe! Even though he’s fixed, and has really calmed down he’s still aggressive- esp. if he’s in his favorite spot and you try to pick him up. I mean, how would you feel if you were chilling somewhere, or were digging and thought you were getting really close to your destination and someone picked you up or broke your concentration by petting you? I would be really angry.

What I do is try not to aggrevate him. If I need Fujoe to move, or to go back to his cage I usally try to lure him out with a rasin (it’s the only way to get him out of a closet). I don’t know how big your bunny is- but I’m really used to Fujoes growling angry sessions that I just pick him up and hold him- but I suggest you be really comfortable with that because the bunny could break it’s back if he feels threatened or angry…

And though he’s well behaved for most of the time- you are going to do something to upset your bunny. Good example of this is when I’m putting Fujoe. He’ll be on the floor and will have his head on the floor totally into the petting. If I stop, even if it’s just for a second to readjust myself, he’ll lunge for my hand, growl and nip. I figured out it’s his way of saying “hey! don’t stop! I’m not done yet- keep loving me!!” So since you’ve had your bunny for only 2 months, it might be a little bit more till you can understand bunglsih. : )

Good luck with your bunny! he still loves you!

• saya836
                Participant

I’m so glad to hear about your Fujoe..its so relieving to hear that Kyuubi isn’t the only one.

• Gravehearted
                  Participant
                  2428 posts Send Private Message

since he’s been neutered, it luckily isn’t that.

My guess is it’s him being defensive about territory. Since he’s only been with you a few months he’s still trying to establish territory. It’s going to take time for him to come to trust you. Some other contributing factors may be he’s frightened or just wasn’t handled enough before coming home with you.

Also keep in mind that bunnies see the world very differently than we do, based on how their eyes are situated. It’s important that Kyuubi can see the hand before people start petting him.

• BinkyBunny
                    8776 posts Send Private Message

My first thought is to make sure he is not in pain, as bunnies can display aggression when they are hurt or ill.   So I just want to be sure that that is not the case.

If not, then did this behavior start happening when he had the run of the apartment?  But he was fine before then?  Never lunged – only with this new freedom?

IF this has happened at the same time, this is what I think could be going on:

All this new extra freedom, new space  – Yeah!  But at the same time it can be a bit overwhelming, even a little frightening, especially if he’s only been with you two months.  He is now allowed to go into a place that is occupied by several people.  – The general territory of everyone

soooo, I bet he found a place that he feels secure, and some bunnies, either out of fear or dominance will defend this "prized location"  

He may have found that growling and pouncing actually made someone back away – even if you put him back in his cage, he may still associate that this behavior worked in some form. 

I don’t usually worry too much about a bunny defending their own pen or cage, unless they bite.  I just move slowly and allow them to have "their space".    But in the rest of the house, I want my bunnies to be able share territories – part of the reason I do that is because SOMETIMES territorial bunnies will insist on marking that area to claim it along with aggression. 

Also, aggression can escalate, so if that happens, you’d want to prevent that.   It may die down as he gets more comfortable, but if it only gets worse then I have a few suggestions to break help break this habit:

Wear a glove that will protect you from any potential bite or scratch so you won’t pull away in fear. (Make sure the gloves have your scent – some strange smelling glove that you had in storage may just make him fearful.  So how do you get your scent on the gloves you ask? You can put them in your dirty laundry for a day, or sleep with them.  GOOFY I KNOW.   but it works.

And when he is out in the general territory and he guards a particular place, just rest your hand there.  When he pounces, growls, bites whatever, -do nothing.  Don’t get mad, don’t be afraid, just hang there.   Move a little, slowly, and he may get upset.  Just talk to him gently, and if he’ll let you, pet him.  Some bunnies will settle down once you offer them pleasure – and I haven’t found that they associate this as reward for bad behavior.   

When he calms down, even for a short time, leave him alone. Plus, you don’t want to keep pushing him.  Just do this in short sessions, everyday.    Do this over and over and hopefully the repetitiveness of leaving him in peace when he’s not being aggressive will teach him that aggression doesn’t work, and he can stay under the table without having to fight for it.

This can take time – When I first got Jack, he was a growler and a lunger.  It took me three weeks to get him to stop.     And he’s a big boy!  Even with the gloves, both my husband and I would flinch, so we learned to close our eyes.

Keep us updated!  Good Luck!

• BinkyBunny
                        Posted By tallullu on 11/27/2006 4:24 PM
                        oops sorry i miss read what u wrote thought u wrote he wasnt neutered apologies. im a plum

A plum??!!  That is so funny!! Is that a Scottish saying?   I love it.  But plums are great, what would be so bad about being a plum?  or is it something like "as dumb as a plum" or ???  NOT THAT YOU ARE!!  I’m just curious about the saying "I’m a plum"

So does it work if you want to call someone a plum?   So if I just want to use some harmless ammunition toward my husband, could I say…."ah geez, honey, you’re such a plum!"  

• Elena Niznik
                        Participant

yeah binky its a nice way of saying ” your being silly” i dunno if its a scottish saying or not me and my friends generally say it to each other when we have done something silly and you know its silly. haha

• saya836
                          Participant

thanks for all your advice they’re really helpful. Kyuubi doesn’t bite at all when he lunges and so far its been happening less often and instead of a harsh sounding growl its more like a scough or something. Like Binky bunny said, i think he’s just overwhelmed with his new roaming space and is trying to find some places of his own. My roomates and I now just try and offfer him treats under those spaces and if he lets us with pet his head and so far it seems to be getting him more comfortable around us. Now adays he just lays around fully stretched out whereever he wants. hahhaa its a cute site to see.

• BinkyBunny

Yeah!    That’s good news. Good job!

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Bunny gone mad