Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Bunny gained weight, then suddenly lost it all!?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Maggie and Buttons
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

So my bunny is an unknown breed but she’s a medium size, maybe like 5 or 6 pounds, not big but not small. I went off to college and when I came back my mother had been giving her the worst, unhealthiest pellets I had ever seen! She gained a decent amount of weight, her tummy almost looked like she was pregnant! So fast forward me giving her an appropriate weight loss diet and changing pellets, one weekend I’m home (friday) and she’s still a too fat but she’s only been on the diet a week or two. Then on Sunday I look at her and her tummy is GONE. There is no way she could’ve been pregnant she’s our only bun, plus no babies anywhere. She is running around playfully and eating and normal, nothing appears wrong on the outside. What happened? Should she go to the vet? I’m only asking first because as a college kid money is very tight and I only want to take her if I really need to.

P.S. it should be noted that when I was gone during the week my mother was giving her lots of kale and sometimes carrots (in copious amounts) even though I yelled at her several times not to do that! I can only tell her not to so much and I can’t do anything about it when I’m gone  She also doesn’t run around outside because our backyard has glass in it, so I don’t think she could have picked up a bug??

Please help, I am super worried!!!!

• Mikey
        Participant
        3186 posts Send Private Message

It couldve been gas. Bad gassy tummy makes my smallest male look pregnant, and he is prone to a gassy tummy The diet your mom had her on couldve easily bloated her up since her tummy wasnt used to eating all of that junk

To be sure she is the right weight, it might be best to weigh her instead of going off of looks for a while until her tummy completely adjusts to the healthier diet again

• Bam
          16836 posts Send Private Message

Mikey’s gas-theory sounds very reasonable. So glad her tum has gone back to normal size now after the change in diet.

I weigh my bun in a bowl on my kitchen scales and write his weight in my wall- calendar. It really helps to get the actual weight, appearance alone can be very deceitful.

• Maggie and Buttons
            Participant
            2 posts Send Private Message

Thanks so much for the advice! I’ll be weighing her and keeping an eye on her the next few weeks just in case. I feel a lot less worried! 

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Bunny gained weight, then suddenly lost it all!?