Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Bunny cage tips

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • Dragonfly
      Participant
      34 posts Send Private Message

Hey,

I’ve had my bunnies for about 3-4 months now. You guys have all given me great advice that’s helped me so much with my bunnies. My bunnies have recently started mounting and I got some advice to seperate them before it causes fights, I feel kinda bad for seperating them but I know that it will be good once they are spayed and can meet eachother and be best friends again. They are very happy, spoiled and seeing them binky for the first time was the cutest.

I was wondering if this is good for a sleep cage for seperating them until they get spayed. They do have an outdoor and indoor play area during the day.

• DanaNM
        8930 posts Send Private Message

It looks pretty small, but I know its only temporary (and they get play time each day). At an absolute minimum, the bun should be able to lay down fully stretched out without hitting the sides, is that the case here (it’s hard to tell from the pictures)?

You might think about making the divider out of small wire mesh (you can get 1/4″ hardware cloth from hardware stores that works great), so they can’t nip each other but can also still see each other. They will probably be happier that way and it will help with pre-bonding.

Ideally you could get a second dog crate and just have them side by side. Would that be an option for you? You can often find them used online for pretty cheap. Sometimes animal shelters also sell ones that have been donated for low prices.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Dragonfly
          Participant

Hello,

Thank you for your help,

They can lay down fully stretched in the back of the cage. And unfortunately I couldn’t get wire mesh and I do not have a cage but I had some chicken wire that seems to work well as a replacement. They can still see eachother which makes me feel alittle better.

My bunnies have never been seperated from each other before and the smallest one thumper seems to be alittle unimpressed or upset about it. I really want them to be in good health and such. Do you think she will get depressed? And is there anything I can do to help her be happy and get used to it?

• Dragonfly
            Participant

Hello,

Thank you for your help,

They can lay down fully stretched in the back of the cage. And unfortunately I couldn’t get wire mesh and I do not have a cage but I had some chicken wire that seems to work well as a replacement. They can still see eachother which makes me feel alittle better.

My bunnies have never been seperated from each other before and the smallest one thumper seems to be alittle unimpressed or upset about it. I really want them to be in good health and such. Do you think she will get depressed? And is there anything I can do to help her be happy and get used to it?

• DanaNM

Ok that all sounds good about the cage, just make sure they aren’t able to nip noses through the chicken wire.

I think having them able to see each other will help them be less upset about the separation. Are they scheduled to be spayed soon-ish?

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Dragonfly
                Participant

Thank you,

I did make them appointment a month ago to check their ages and such but I am thinking that they are old enough to get spayed already so I might have to book another appointment for getting them spayed.

Also, do you think she will get sad or feel alone? I know she can see her I just feel bad lol, I’m use to seeing them together but I know this is Best for now.

• DanaNM

It can be really sad to split them, but it’s for the best! Babies do not form true bonds, and once hormones kick in it can trigger fighting. Then if they do fight, it makes it hard to re-bond them, so it’s best to separate them before that happens.

Just keep an eye on their eating and pooping to make sure one bunny isn’t getting depressed, but they should be fine as long as they can still see and smell each other.

• Dragonfly
                    Participant

Thank you,

That helps me feel alittle bit better. 🙂

I use to put them in their playpen together too but the other day I put them in their playpen once together and thumper trapped snowball in a corner and she started squiking or something high pitched. I tried to do what I thought was best and just seperate them entirely even in the playpen but I’ve noticed that since I’ve been putting them in the playpen seperatly alone at different times of the day they don’t run around as much. And sleep most of the time they are in there. (I try to let them out in the mornings, evening’s and sometimes in between.)

• DanaNM

Yeah, I think at this point they probably shouldn’t have play time together either. Can you get 2 play pens so they can run around side-by-side?

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Bunny cage tips