Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Bunny Bonding tips?

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
    • SuzanneP
      Participant
      30 posts Send Private Message

My dwarf, Alliya is finally spayed. Aside from a little initial pain issue, she seems to have recovered fine. So, I had been starting to think about getting her a friend now that I can. I saw some cuties at the petco the other day all curled up together and grooming each other and I just melted at their loving togetherness. My thoughts, to this point, had been mostly in the preliminary stages, though.

And then I went out to get some Roborovsky hamsters today, at a local pet shop and lo and behold, in the back of the store was an enclosure full of 8-9 week old dwarfs and dwarf mixes.They were super tame – which is strange to see after handling Alliya, who is skiddish as can be (even now that she’s spayed) and doesn’t like to be plucked from her home. Now I’m thinking poor Alliya must have spent a long time in that pet store in that small cage without much stimulation. These babies, apparently were handled a lot early on by their donators.

Well, on the pet store guy’s reassurance and personal experience with house rabbits, I was given to believe that if I brought Alliya in and she got a chance to meet a few of the little babies one at a time it would be clear if she was going to tolerate having a new roommate and we could proceed with the more lengthy introductions from there.

So we did.  And in the pet store in a neutral cage we introduced her to a 9 week old dwarf-lionhead mix who is sweet as pie and named Liesel, pending sexing. They both sat in the cage for several minutes, sniffed around.  Alliya got the lay of the land and then mounted the little one, who sat compliantly. They did this a couple of times and then just kind of hung out and sniffed at one another. Yay. Happy bunnies.

Only once we got home and I put them together in Alliya’s old, smaller cage, immediately the fur started flying. The poor little bunny was chased in circles and into the bars. Alliya tried to thwap at her with her front legs and the little thing had to be rescued and was sporting a scratched nose. So, now I’m trying to just keep them apart but cages close together to acclimate them to the smell of one another.

My question is, if this is the way Alliya reacts right off the batt, will she ever change her mind and decide to be friends? And if that is possible, what’s the best way to make it happen?

They gave me the option to return the bunny within 21 days if things didn’t work out but I am already so in love with her that I couldn’t even think of it. I’m ecstatic to finally have a bun who is semi sociable. I’m just thinking, gosh what a space waster a second cage is and eventually I would have to make her a bigger one like what I made for Alliya and so forth. Also, the POINT was to solve the lonely bunny problem. And, if this doesn’t work out, I’ve just doubled that problem.

Anyway, anyone have any good advice?

Also, the little one seems to be happy peeing wherever she happens to be. What’s the best way to potty train them? Alliya was already trained (minus the scattered poops she leaves down on the ground level by her litterbox) when I got her.

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

Well, I would not want to put a baby that young in to bond.

Have you considered adopting a rabbit from a rescue that is already neutered and the rescue can give you bonding tips?

http://www.rabbitresource.org/

Here’s a group in Austin with rescued rabbits that need homes.

• rabbitsmba
          Participant
          475 posts Send Private Message

IMO I think you’ve gone about it a bit wrong – although I know you have the best intentions! The reason the fur started flying was because you were no longer in neutral territory and Alliya viewed the new bunn as an intruder.

Firstly, separate them. Take the new bunny into a completely different room. Not knowing for sure what the sex of the new bunny is (SO difficult to tell at that age, even for an expert) be prepared for more issues if you should find out if it’s a female, not a male which would have been optimal. Secondly, I would wait until this new bunny was old enough to be spayed/neutered so that hormones are under the best control.

Here is a good link for bonding….

http://www.rabbitrescue.ca/Rabbit%20Info/bonding.html

And for litter training….

http://www.ontariorabbits.org/diet/behavinfo4.html

Good luck! And remember, bonding takes time, consistency and patience, but the payoff at the end is well worth it!

• SuzanneP
            Participant

Yeah, I had actually glaced at the rescue list for possible companions but they don’t seem to have very many dwarves up for adoption, which was my preference. This may turn out to be an entirely misguided endeavor but I think, for better or for worse, the deed is done. I just can’t see returning this one. 

I am perfectly willing to have this one spayed when the time is right but I would think Alliya having been spayed would not have too many concerns about it.

But, so, too young you say? What would be a good age to try them together again? And is the age thing a concern for the baby or do they just not tend to want to bond with babies that age? Because the threatened posture with the older one was pretty clear cut. 

• Sarita
              Participant

I think at 9 weeks they are pretty fragile and they can get injured more easily especially with an adult and like you said she was threatened. Also I agree it must be done when the time is right in neutral territory. Alliya may eventually change her mind but it will take time – she didn’t get off to a good start but with time she could accept the new rabbit.

You are best to wait until the baby is old enough and is altered. I’m currently trying to bond a younger rabbit with an older rabbit – she’s been spayed (about a month) but she’s still a real spitfire and the male is at least 2 years old and he’s not happy either because I am changing up his routine and he’s a little lazy from being a cage for a long time at the sanctuary I help at. Cupcake is young and full of life and she is chasing him and I think wants to be top bun. I’m not certain how old Cupcake really is – she was a stray that someone rescued with a broken leg – she is young though, definitely less than a year old since she’s still growing.

My last 2 bonds were a breeze so I am having to be creative with this bond.

Once the new baby is altered you will want to start a short time in a puppy pen and try the car drives and such. At this point though I would hold off since the start was pretty difficult for both of them. I would take baby to the vet though for a thorough check-up and sexing too since she is new too you – always good whether you get your rabbit from a pet store, breeder, or rescue before you do anything else.

• SuzanneP
                Participant

Thanks for the links. I will check those out.

Another question, then. So, I should put the baby in another room for the time being? And you say it will be better once hormones are in check but whose hormones are we worried about? Alliya shouldn’t have any to speak of.

Anyway, I am just wondering if it’s entirely a matter of patience  and time or if some bunnies are just not willing to make friends. I know a temperamental cat like that and NOTHING has yet been able to change her mind. Of course, it could be the gender thing too.  

Regarding the sexing, I did take a peek and could see the genitalia as clearly as one ever can I guess. It does seem to have the more slit like opening. Does it make a difference if I am pulling against it when I look? Either way I need to get it to a vet for a good check up and once over and I’ll let them give the official report.

• Sarita
                  Participant

When was Alliya spayed and about how old is she?

Some bonding are just more challenging than others. I think you can keep the baby in the same room as long as they are separate.

• Sarita
                    Participant

homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rabcare.html#bond

Also, here an extensive amount of good articles on bonding that you can read as well.

• SuzanneP
                      Participant

Sorry, guys. I keep replying one response behind. Lots of good info flying here.

I was thinking the clean, empty old cage would be a good neutral territory but maybe it was just too close to home. I will definately not force the issue right now, then. And will try to bond them later on.

Alliya is between 18 months and 2 years old. I’ve had her just over a year and the pet store where I got her said, when I asked how old she was, besides the part where they passed her off as neutered male, that she was “pretty young”. Who knows what that means. She was smallish but mostly full grown.

Anyway. She was neutered a bit over a month ago and the vet said her reproductive organs were bizarrely underdeveloped, as a side note.

Thanks for all the links guys.

• Sarita
                        Participant

Oh my, well it could take even more than a month for hormones to calm down – wonder if a part of her behavior is a result of the bizarrely underdeveloped reproductive organs – it’s certainly possible. Although some rabbits just are how they are :~)

Good luck and do keep us update!

• Beka27
                          Participant
                          16016 posts Send Private Message

i think you’re gonna be in for quite a journey. if the bun is 9 weeks as you say and she is a girl, she will not even be able to be spayed for at least 3-5 months depending on your vet. the ideal is that you adopt an already neutered male, after bunny speed dating, and work to bond them from there. it’s not impossible that you can bond those two, but you’ve made a difficult task (under the best circumstances) much harder. let us know what you decide.

• babybunsmum
                            Participant
                            3896 posts Send Private Message

just a point to consider… make sure their separate cages are apart enough that they cannot nip each other through the cage bars.  also, watch closely who ever is out for free roam time, as they’ll tend to hang out around the other’s cage and could possibly nip at each other then too.  wascally wabbits!  good luck suzanne

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                              Participant
                              12067 posts Send Private Message

Wow alot to take in huh? Don’t worry, bbm, apanda and I are also going the bonding route right now (you can read about it in our thread “the bonding adventures of pinky and rupert”). Mine is definitely going to be interesting as my bonded females are not getting along with my new male…Anyhoooo from what I’ve been reading, you CAN make ANY two bunnies bond, just takes time (….lots and lots of time….LOL)

• MarkBun
                                Participant
                                2842 posts Send Private Message

You should not try to put them in the same cage together for a while. A cage isn’t considered neutral territory if your bun can still see that she’s at home. You’ll want to put them in a larger, enclosed area (such as an X-pen) so that the bun has a chance to get away if she gets aggressive. You should also be in the X-pen in the beginning to quench any such attacks. Remember, mounting good, biting bad.

• rabbitsmba
                                  Participant
                                  475 posts Send Private Message

Personally, I’d keep baby bunn in a separate room but I guess a separate cage in the same room is okay, too. Baby needs to be altered so her hormones are also in check. A spayed female can smell an unspayed female a mile away and it can drive them bonkers – at least that’s what happened in my house! Remember, rabbits have an unbelievable ability to hold a grudge so their fight might be hard for them to overcome. This is why I think a separate room would be preferable – a chance to “forget” and be re-introduced later. Neutral territory needs to be just that – a place that neither bunn can call their own. I usually use a bathroom. It also needs to be big enough that they can be apart from each other so as not to feel threatened by the immediate closeness of an “intruder”.

Yes, you may have to wait a while to spay her, but in the meantime, it will give Alliyah a chance to get used to her scent. And once the spaying is done, you can try the steps to bonding. Keep in mind, female/female bonding is considered the most difficult, but it CAN be done. Here’s hoping all works out for you and the bunnies!

• SuzanneP
                                    Participant

Thanks for all the good advice, guys. I’m actually sort of excited about the challenge. It’s just so nice to have one I can cuddle with. It might be worth it even if they never bond. But I do really want to try eventually. I think I will put the baby in the other room for now. Maybe Alliya will stop growling at me when I reach into her cage.

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Bunny Bonding tips?