Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Bunny biting testicle :(

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • PeggyBunsMama
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

Hi all,

My boy Peggy is 7 months old. He is intact (and chripotorchid). Since I discovered Pegs was a buck (hence the name 🤦🏼‍♀️), I knew I would have him neutered when the time is right. He had a visit with our local “pocket pet” vet last week for a checkup and to discuss his surgery. Prior to his appointment, he was a happy and healthy bunny with a need to keep his privates…well…private. The only time he would let me even look at his boy bits was when I was shaving him (funny leg from birth makes it hard for him to groom) and even then you could tell he wasn’t too pleased. Since the lovely vets poking and prodding to gauge the location of the mystery second testicle, mr bun has been furiously grooming his rear end. His testicle, penis and anus are swollen, red raw and bleeding/weeping. He would be in an incredible amount of pain, but just can’t leave it alone!! Could this excessive grooming be because he feels violated as a result of the vets examination? Or a sign of a uti? I’m so lost! I can’t put a cone on him – cecotropes – so how do I stop him harming himself before he does permanent damage?! Do I dare take him back to the vet to have it checked and get medication for him?

help!!

• Wick & Fable
        5771 posts Send Private Message

I would highly recommend taking him to the vet as soon as possible. Swollen and bleeding genitals are not good and rabbit saliva is dirty, prone to causing infections on open wounds. An infection down there is the last thing your rabbit needs.

I’m unsure what the tone of “pocket pet” vet implies, but I feel that that may mean that vet is not an experienced exotic vet? It is very important for rabbits to be seen by rabbit-experienced vets, who at the minimum would needs to be an exotic veterinarian. Even “smaller” knowledge, like how to properly handle and examine a rabbit are important.

If you are in the US, the House Rabbit Society (rabbit.org) has a list of vets by state who are exotic veterinarians. If you have a local HRS chapter (which would be listed on rabbit.org), you can often visit their website to see what vets they recommend in your area.

Regardless of what caused this, it is something that now needs to be assessed by a rabbit experienced vet.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• DanaNM
          8901 posts Send Private Message

I agree that he should go back to the vet (or a dif vet if you don’t trust your current one), that sounds like something that may not resolve on its own.

@Wick
              My understanding of “pocket pet” vet is vet that treats animals smaller than dogs and cats, so usually they are experienced with exotics. That doesn’t necessarily mean they are rabbit experienced though!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Bunny biting testicle :(