Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A bunny bedroom? or not?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • Ang
      Participant
      257 posts Send Private Message

would it be benificial for moreland to have his own room?

he has a hutch right now similar to i believe “light chicks” set up i loved it so much i copied it.  he is in the dining room.  right now he bairly has anything to call his own besides his hutch and carpeted area.  i have to keep the poos and stuff picked up in the dining room area.  we have a back bedroom at the back of the house ..  used right now for storage but could easily be a bunny room.  i could go back there a few hours a day and watch tv or even sleep back there with him sometimes.   i will always leave the door open if he wants to come in the rest of the house.  does he need tobe in a central area or is the back bedroom good if im at least back there a few times a day and give him the option to come play in the rest of the house. 

• Moonlight_Wolf
        Participant
        1155 posts Send Private Message

I think it would be a good idea for her to have hr own room. You could scatter toys around it and have her cage in it. I would love to give my bun a whole room, but unfortunately she gets only half of my room. I need some space too you know!! lol.

• Ana
          Participant
          182 posts Send Private Message

My cats have their own room.  Why not a bun?  I’d just be extra careful it’s bunny proofed.

• RachelF
            Participant
            287 posts Send Private Message

That is a very generous idea =] I would only worry about excessive digging if you have a carpet, or chewing the walls. I think it is best to keep and eye on them while they are out.

I bring my bun in the bathroom when I am getting ready in the morning, and I have to be careful because I often catch her digging under the door! I don’t think she understands that it just leads to the boring hallway that she’s been up and down a hundred times. I’m afraid she’ll break a toenail! They are so stubborn sometimes!

• Ang
              Participant
              257 posts Send Private Message

well the floor is vinyl as well as the hallway.  my walls dont really pop out and there arent any corners.  i will also have wire ex pen style set up around the buns.  its our backroom the only thing in there is a bookshelf and a futon and some storage items but they will be cleaned out and out of the buns way.

im more worried about the actual human interaction. i think right now in the dining room he sees us but is still kind of scared i will open his hutch up for him to come out and it will take him two hours to come out .. hes out for five minutes then runs back in.  so were working on his social skills.

• RachelF
                Participant
                287 posts Send Private Message

aww it takes time, some buns are just more timid than others. =]

as long as the bunny room was open when you are there, and interaction takes place, I don’t see any issue with it!

goodluck!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                  Participant
                  12067 posts Send Private Message

My buns are free-range, but they do have their own room. I didn’t want that at first, when they were in a cage/condo as I wanted them more central but it’s been absolutely wonderful. I think they really like it too. Here’s my bedroom setup :

[script removed]IMG_1448.jpg picture by kokaneeandkuhluha

[script removed]IMG_1449.jpg picture by kokaneeandkuhluha

• BinkyBunny
                    8776 posts Send Private Message

well, since my bunnies have their own room, then I say thumbs up for that. However, in order for that to work, you want to be sure and bunnyproof. Also, if there is a way to slowly expand his freedom within that room instead of giving it all at once, then that may help with littertraining issues. An xpen is a great way to gradually allow freedom. Get a feel for where your bunny potty and add a box there.

You also may find that during this time he will do more territorial marking with pills. That’s okay and does not mean he is not littertrained. It should lessen once he feels confident in his new territory.

Regarding the social thing.  Offer food and treats when he comes out to visit.  That does the trick with jack and rucy when they are being anti-social.  They then come out and explore more often and begin to hang out with us more even when we don’t have food.

Keep us updated.

• Beka27
                      Participant
                      16016 posts Send Private Message

my bonded pair have their own room, but they also have a double wide xpen in there as well.  i pen them up at night and when we’re not home for an extended length of time.  they do have free run of the house, but if i don’t want them under foot for some reason, i also have a baby gate that i put in their doorway at times.

most people have seen this already, but i think you’re newer, so here it is.  i have a rug down under the pens to protect the carpeting.

and they have started chewing the wall.  in a flat place… so just b/c there are no corners, does not mean the wall cannot get chewed.  baseboards too.  whoever lived here before painted over wallpaper, so they are now chewing whole strips off.  lol.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A bunny bedroom? or not?