Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bunny barrier building 101

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • 2buns2luv
      Participant
      66 posts Send Private Message

A HUGE thanx to whoever created this site. It’s the most informative site I’ve found. I know there’s s the disclosure about checking with a vet and what not but it’s so nice to be able to hear from actual rabbit owners who have experienced some of the things your going through with your beloved pets as you are. You don’t have that when you’re reading a book. And it’s ovious that all the members are rabbit lovers who have a true passion and appreciate and embrace the complexities of raising our furry little friends. Way to go BInkyBunny *cheer*

Anyways I’m rambling….(it’s 2:56am) 

Here is my question…..Currently my little fur darlings live in my living room and spend about 60% of their time in their enclosure. We’re using a 24inch dog exercise pen as their house. Here’s a picture :

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/Allorha/Picture318.jpg      (picture was too big to post, so had to put a link, sorry)

We would love to give our girls alot more free range in our living room but my boyfriend is an avid collector of figurines from movies etc. We have a display case that hold them. But we’re looking for advice on what type of barrier would help keep our buns from chewing our collection. I’ve seen on other posts that some of you have built cages/condo’s out of some type of cube things that can be joined together. Something like that would probably work but I have no clue on where to find these cube things. I know calling them things doesn’t really help much but I thought I read somewhere about them being called NIC cubes. I live in Canada.

When we let our buns out of their enclosure we simplt move their pen to block off the display case but i’ve read in many places that rabbits need their own defined space. And when we move their “walls”  it might upset them or confuse them as to which areas are theirs.

Any help would be fantastic

• kimberleyanddarren
        Participant
        2520 posts Send Private Message

yes the cages/condos are made out of thing such as NIC cubes they can just be fixed together to make a guard or condo or whatever you like! have you considered another dog pen? that might be easier to find than NIC cubes depending on where you are located, you could also get something like clear plastic which is relatively cheap and might look nicer! i used to use a board which i think is something like plyboard (sp) but it was really cheap i think like 1.99 a square and it is easy to store as it is so thin and can be cut down to any shape or size (if you ask around most big DIY stores could do this for you quite cheap) this way the case could be enclosed with the exact size instead of having big cubes round it as it is a display case, good luck!

• RabbitPam
          11002 posts Send Private Message

Do you have Target where you live?
            I just found boxes of NIC cubes there in several colors and quantities about 2 months ago on sale.
            The others here have mentioned getting them in other stores also, just can’t remember which ones.

• Beka27
            Participant
            16016 posts Send Private Message

the thing i love about NIC cubes (my house is pretty much held together by them) is that they are small (only 14 inches approx.) so they can be configured in smaller areas than xpens.  you could make a small barrier that’s two NIC cubes high and just make it the length of the cabinet.  for a small area, blocking with an xpen is overkill.  i do agree that it’s nice for them to have a defined area.  Meadow will often times hop back to her own space to lay down, even tho her area is open to the rest of the house.  with my first rabbit i would get a bit more fed up because i just used boxes to try and block off areas, and it didn’t work too well.  i was always having to move things around.  with Meadow i said, that’s it.  we’re doing NIC cubes…

• MarkBun
              Participant
              2842 posts Send Private Message

NIC cubes are also known as ‘wall storage’ or ‘wire storage’ cubes. They are the wire cubes that you can make into any size or shape.

• babybunsmum
                Participant
                3896 posts Send Private Message

i live in ontario and have found NIC cubes in walmart and zellers.  they are rubbermaid brand and come 13 squares to a pack for about $10 (tho that may be a sale price).  they’re usually kept in the closet organizer aisle where they have shoe racks & stuff.  i’ve found them on canadian tire and home depot websites too, but not in stock in my local stores.  they call it a “4-cube Wire Shelf”.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                  Participant
                  12067 posts Send Private Message

Got mine from Walmart sort of in the shelving/linnen/storage bin type section….I pay about 20bux a pack but I’ve never found them on sale. That’s absolutely the best stuff ever! I believe binkybunny has a link to sites where you can buy it on here

*going looking*

• Lo
                    Participant
                    56 posts Send Private Message

I found mine at home depot for $30 in the storage/selving section. While you are there you might want to grab a bag of zip ties as well – they are super handy for keeping the cage together and attaching toys, etc

• osprey
                      Participant
                      2065 posts Send Private Message

super-duper list of sources for NIC panels and coroplast

That site gives instructions on where to buy them and how to build with them.  Highly recommended.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                        Participant
                        12067 posts Send Private Message

*I’m back* anyways here’s what’s here
                          Cages/Habitats

Where to get cubes both USA and UK (once there, scroll down for supplies and instructions)

on the links page, but just usa and uk, so yeh, but looks like osprety beat me to it!! Good job osprey! that reminds me I’d better go review some products on zootoo!!

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bunny barrier building 101