Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Bunny and its state of well being

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
    • Deleted
      Participant
      3 posts Send Private Message

Hello, how are you?

I just recently adopted a rabbit from a rescue in California around 1 week ago. She is a Mini Lop and is sweet but easily frightened. I did all my research about bunny’s and their diet vet dates etc but sometimes I forget about how they do not like being cuddled or held. That leads me to my question I think I picked my rabbit up one too many times and cuddled her the same too. Whenever I walk into my room which is where she stays she always perks up and starts shivering. I pet her and she tooth clicks which i heard is god but I also notice whenever I walk in my room she kind of scrunches up or stops whatever shes doing to look up. Now I can see why you judge me for doing this but whenever I see youtubers who do take proper care of their bunnies they always give them dog behavior like kisses and they like being held and they are in extreme happiness so that is why i sometimes cuddle her but I realized they have had their rabbits for years so yeah. So what should I do? Is there a way that I can be trusted again if so tell me because I have no one to really turn to. I feel like if I told anyone at a shelter or rescue they might think I’m unworthy of keeping it so I only have you guys to turn to. If you guys say there’s nothing I can do to regain or gain her trust I can trade her for another rabbit at the shelter but that is my last resort pease tell me what to do thanks.

• OnyxMoon
        Participant
        260 posts Send Private Message

Hey, its gonna be okay. My favorite thing about bunnies is how loving and forgiving they can be. Hope is not lost, my friend!

Its most likely that she is still getting used to her new environment and human. It is typically recommended to limit interaction for the first couple days, or week depending on the bunny, after bringing a new bunny home.

But here are somethings that could help with bonding:

The number one thing to do to help bond with your bunny is getting down on their level. I chose to lay down, others sit. My bunny hated being touched or picked up (understandable, but i had to give him medicine), he was terrified. Every bunny is different but after two weeks, he started trusting me.

The first thing I did was just offer my hand. I put it up to his nose slowly, and if he stayed still I gave a quick pet on the head (no further) and pulled my hand away (not quick or slow, just normal speed). If he pulled his head back, or pulled/moved away from my hand in any way, I left him alone for a while.

This showed him that I wouldn’t pick him up or bother him if he didnt want me to. Typically rabbits dont want or like to be picked up or held at all anyway, so dont take them not liking it personal. Its instinctual for them.

My suggestion is doing what I described above and sitting in a medium sized area with her, for an hour a day or whenever you can. Ignore them completely, even if she comes up to you and sniffs and bumps you, this let’s her know “Hey, I wont pick you up or bother you all time! “. Read a book, play on your phone, etc. To help resist the urge to snuggle her.

I did these things with my bunny and a very skittish pair my sister has, and after the third or fourth session with the female in the pair, she was giving my hand licks/bunny kisses and loafing next to me. My personal bun took longer, about 3-4 months. He also had a bad biting habit, but now he gives me bunny nose kisses.

I hope this helps, keep us updated!

• Daisy
          Participant
          199 posts Send Private Message

Bunnies are not dogs. Quite a few don’t like pets or cuddles at all, regardless of whether they’ve been mistreated before or not. Out of my 5 rabbits, only 1 liked pets and would seek out attention. 1 would tolerate it and stay still but never asked for it nor let know they liked it, 2 were actively like “yeah thanks but no thanks” and 1 will be like “do you HAVE to do this?” for 5 seconds before going like “yeah thanks but no thanks”. It’s normal.

• Sirius&Luna
            Participant
            2319 posts Send Private Message

You don’t just ‘forget’ that bunnies don’t like to be picked up, you just didn’t believe it or chose to ignore it. Hopefully now you understand that they don’t like to be picked up. They are prey animals, and instinctively believe they are about to be eaten when they’re picked up. One of my three bunnies asks to be picked up, but the other two don’t like it. Maybe the youtubers you’re watching have tolerant bunnies, or maybe their bunnies have just got used to it over years.

It’s also not acceptable to just swap your rabbit for a new one at the shelter because it’s scared of you due to your own actions.

You need to spend some time working on making her trust you. Do not pick her up again unless it’s an emergency. Sit on the floor and let her come to you. Respect her personal space. Don’t touch her when she comes over, let her learn that you’re not always going to try and pick her up and cuddle her. After a while, you could try petting her head, and seeing where she likes to be petted, but if she hops away leave her and don’t follow. You can also try hand feeding her treats when she comes near you.

If you want a pet you can carry around and cuddle, then I’m afraid rabbits are the wrong pet for you.

• Bladesmith
              Participant
              849 posts Send Private Message

Earning the trust of a bunny, especially a tiny one, take a LONG time. (Varies from rabbit to rabbit, but still) You cannot expect dog like behaviors from a rabbit, they’re prey animals and wired completely differently. So you have to work at it, trust is earned. But oh so worth it.

But like was mentioned before, they’re very forgiving. So yes, start over, and this time do things the right way, getting down to their level, and letting them set the pace. It’s frustrating at times because they’re so….darn…cute….but you must resist. Let your rabbit come to you. Make them curious about you. But once you earn your rabbits trust, you’ll see a whole new side of it’s personality.

With our dwarf, Dawn, it’s taken me over a year to earn her nominal trust to the point where she’ll come to me and put her front legs on my shoulders (I spend a lot of time laying on the floor because of my back, the rabbits just think it’s because they own me…) and rub her chin on my face and glasses (Which I don’t get, she looks ridiculous in aviator frames and she knows this. Tortiseshell frames are more her style) lick my nose (it’s adorable, she has such a tiny little tongue), or tug on my socks and shirt. She’s probably never going to be the cuddle bunny her bigger sister Clover is (Who, if I’m honest, is more of a lap dog than most lap dogs.). But you have to accept your rabbits comfort level of contact. You can’t force it to be more than the rabbit is willing to give.

If you get to the point where your rabbit is willing to come to you and give you chins and sit near you, or even on you, you’ve succeeded. Anything past that point is gravy.

Also, rabbits are food fiends. Treats, HEALTHY treats, are a big helper, but you’re still gonna have to do the work above. Otherwise your rabbit will just see you as the creepy guy in a van offering candy. There’s no shortcuts.

But most of all, temper your expectations, do the hard work, and don’t give up on your rabbit. It’ll be worth it in the end. Promise.

• sarahthegemini
                Participant
                5584 posts Send Private Message

I’m pretty horrified that you’ve had her for a WEEK and because she’s terrified (because YOU continued to pick her up), you’re actually considering exchanging her. That is…dispicable.

Agree with everything Bladesmith and Sirius&Luna have said.

• Bunny House
                  Participant
                  1241 posts Send Private Message

A bunny or pet in general is not a toy that you can return to the store for another one. When you get a pet, it is for their entire life time to be committed and keep them healthy. I suggest if you don’t want to work with a bunny, to give her to someone that will love her and will want to work with her, and for you to not get another bunny. But you need to work on gaining her trust. My lop trusts me but I can only pet her on her terms. Bunnies are not dogs, they do stuff on their terms and let you pet them on their terms.

Bunnies are a different kind of animal and if you aren’t up for the challenge( but the most rewarding challenge you can have) then please do not adopt a bunny again.

Do NOT pick her up, do not touch her unless she puts her head under your hand-then you know she trusts you and wants your affection. Give her healthy treats so she associates you with happy feelings. look up threads on how to bond with your bunny, they will give you excellent ways to show your bunny that you aren’t a threat.

• Bam
                    16838 posts Send Private Message

Not even all dogs like to be pet. My dog isn’t a big fan of being pet. My bunny is a thousand times cuddlier, but it took us a long time to get there.

I don’t think you have to worry about this one week of picking her up even if she didn’t like it, as long as you stop picking her up now. The fact that she tooth purrs when you pet her on the head is very good. If she were genuinely afraid of you, she’d not want you to pet her head and shed not tooth purr. It often takes quite a while to form a relationship with a rabbit. As the others have said, rabbits are prey animals. They need quite a long time to trust you and the human needs to be very patient. It is very rewarding though, once you’ve won your bun’s heart.

You mention YouTube videos of rabbits that like being held and carried. People post such things because it’s a little bit out of the ordinary. Nobody would care to watch a YT video of a dog being pet. That’s way too normal and “boring”.

• BB Administrator
                      Keymaster
                      392 posts Send Private Message

Posted By Bladesmith on 5/22/2018 5:07 AM

Also, rabbits are food fiends. Treats, HEALTHY treats, are a big helper, but you’re still gonna have to do the work above. Otherwise your rabbit will just see you as the creepy guy in a van offering candy. There’s no shortcuts.

Bladesmith – This is a gem!   

Thanks to those that are offering advice and being helpful.  I want to remind others moving forward that scolding and berating is not allowed…and not helpful.  You may successfully shame the person right off the forum and then nothing positive will be gained.  It’s fine to acknowledge the mistakes someone made, but do not go off on someone. If you feel your blood boiling, calm down and come back if you are able to reply in a respectful manner.  If you just don’t have it in you to reply in such a manner, find another post that you may be able to help in. 

This member acknowledges their error, even recognizes they may be judged for it and still took the chance to post and try to make it right.  Now we have the chance to help because the member is open to it.  I think people jumped on the statement:  If you guys say there’s nothing I can do to regain or gain her trust I can trade her for another rabbit at the shelter but that is my last resort please tell me what to do thanks.

If we told the OP there is nothing they can do, and the bunny will be terrified forever now in their care, it would also be in the rabbit’s best interest not to be with the OP.  There is too much focus on this, instead of trying to offer help.  The OP is not saying that’s what they want to do, they are asking for advice to help turn things around. 

So let’s keep encouraging and educating. The situation can be turned around. 

Helloworld!!

• Deleted
                        Participant

i know it was wrong of me to try to cuddle her? but if you have any helpful tips i would love to hear them, also as i said in the original post of trading her or rehoming her that was my final resort but i think i dont have to do that because our relationship has since improved and she was not scared to death of me but sort of held a grudge against me. I respect her space now and only go into her xpen to replenish her water and hay. Things have now neutral
                          and im glad. Again if you have extra tips i would love to hear them im open to all info good or bad.(also sorry for poor grammar im typing on my phone).

• Deleted
                          Participant

This was EXTREMELY helpful I have since learned about a rabbits boundaries and patients you must have
                            thanks to posts like this and some youtube videos. Our relationship has improved to the neutral zone as of now and i hope it continues to improve thank you for giving me info if you have any extra tips i would love to hear them thank you for your time.

• OnyxMoon
                            Participant
                            260 posts Send Private Message

Its good to hear that the relationship is improving, I’m also very glad that you decided to get help and try to fix the situation instead of just giving up. So many people don’t realize that bunnies are still prey animals even if they are “domesticated” and that results in the bunny becoming a ball of fear and anxiety. 

Then they become less “cuddly” to people because they’ll bite out of fear and run away. So they get sent back to the shelter. Its a horrible cycle. I’m happy to hear you aren’t going to give up. Keep us updated! ?

Here is a link to a thread i found about bonding with your bunny, maybe it could be helpful!

https://binkybunny.com/FORUM/tabid/54/aft/160305/Default.aspx

• BB8
                              Participant
                              101 posts Send Private Message

Hi Oatmeal! I bonded with my bunnies by just spending time with them and hand feeding them! I sit on the ground with them while I read, eat, and watch TV. At first I would ignore them but after they got more relaxed with me I would pet them, if they stayed I continued petting them and if they moved I would stop. After a while they would start to nuzzle my hand when they wanted pets. I also laid down on the ground and they would hop all over me haha it’s very cute.
                                When I gave them their salads, pellets, or treats I hand fed them. Neither of mine are timid so maybe some one with a timid bunny could offer more advice. Best of luck!

• MintJulep
                                Participant
                                43 posts Send Private Message

Hi Oatmeal! I’m glad you have started on the long road to building a great relationship with your bun! I was on the floor with Julep for hours every day for close to 7 months or more before she was really comfortable with me. She was a neglect and abuse case so it took her extra long to even be ok in the same space as me. I would read out loud a lot of the time so she got used to my voice. Now she will seek out attention from me pretty much every day! But it took a lot of work on my part and a lot of time.

Treats are key! Try and set up a routine with your bun that includes treats. Julep and I have a morning routine where she will get a little bit of papaya and some petting if she wants it. Try to learn as much as you can about bunny body language. This should help you to learn when your bun wants attention and when they just want to be left alone. You obviously want the best for your bun and that will take you far. Look into the House Rabbit Society website. There is a lot of good information that can help you build a strong bond with your bun! Good luck!

• Ellie from The Netherlands
                                  Participant
                                  2512 posts Send Private Message

Rabbits will only interact with you if they choose so. Forcing a rabbit to interact is seen as disrespectful, and rabbits have pretty clear boundaries about what they do and don’t like. It all falls back to the basic principle: rabbits are a prey species. They want all fours on the floor and they can get very scared if they’re held tightly, because it limits their options for running away and hiding in case of danger. Your rabbit will be a lot happier if you give her a hidey hole (like a cardboard box with 2 exits), and if you let her approach you at her own terms. Dwarf breeds are more skittish in general, so don’t be surprised if it takes a bit more work than you’d expect.

Here’s a very helpful website for trying to read your rabbit’s body language: http://language.rabbitspeak.com
                                    Rabbits will tell you when they want to be petted. Chin on the floor and head outstretched is not as much an invitation as a command

Best of luck with trying to win her over again, and be mindful of her boundaries. Give her space to discover her new living quarters and her new roomie, and you can develop a great bond!

• Stayathomemama28
                                    Participant
                                    20 posts Send Private Message

I am not a bunny expert at all but one thing that has worked really well for me is making the cage my buns space. I don’t pet him or pick him up when he is in his cage. . A great way to bond is to shut your door, open the cage and just do your own thing. When I was young, I had a bunny and I would read on the floor while she played. She would eventually climb on my back and we would just enjoy each other’s company. My Bunny now is more affectionate so he will come nugde me for his nose rub. He loves to flop down beside my toddler while she plays with her toys on the floor. Make it a routine and when it’s time to return to the cage have a healthy treat to give. Good luck! Bunnies are so amazing with such a range of personalities. They can be stubborn but they are also so much smarter then some people realize. Having a trusting relationship with your bun is so rewarding.

• LittlePuffyTail
                                      18092 posts Send Private Message

I was on the floor with Julep for hours every day for close to 7 months or more before she was really comfortable with me.

Similar with my now passed on, Olivia. Was closer to a year before she enjoyed me petting her. And always really hated being picked up and would get very stressed when I needed to hold her. Even after many years together. 

Bonding with a bunny can sometimes take a long time, depending on the situation, environment, the bunny’s past experiences and personality. As a prey animal, it can really be a big deal to become so trusting as to enjoy our company. But once they do, all the patience and persistence will be worth it.

• dogmom
                                        Participant
                                        28 posts Send Private Message

Congrats on your new bunny!

To other posters, I realize that everyone here really cares about rabbits.  I’ve a very new bunny owner (2 years) and didn’t know NEARLY as much as I needed to before our family got our bunny.  My daughter really wanted one, I did some research, but I was just not prepared for how different having a prey animal was from having a dog, cat or bird.  It is so different.  But the way most of us become bunny fanatics is to sort of stumble into it and learn how to be good bunny owners.  I think the original poster admitted mistakes and wanted to learn.

This is what limited information I have to offer.  Treats are good, make sure you limit to suggested amounts per day, keep as healthy as possible.  The saying around our house about our bun is: “She would kill you for a raisin.”  There aren’t great snacks, but a few  slowly doled out during open roaming time really helped us. So we will bring a book or an ipad in, sit on the floor, read/watch a video and let her hop around us.  When she comes close we might dole out a raisin, stroke her gently where she likes.  (It took a while to figure out where she likes.) Now she lets me pick her up and hold her for a while, but not anyone else in the household.  Bunny grandma some how gets her to sit in her pocket of her robe, but she’s got a way with animals, and bunny loves it. Unfortunately it was harder to rehab her relationship with my daughter (age 9 at the time) because daughter would get anxious, bunny would, sense, bunny would bite, daughter got upset, things went down hill.  Even my husband has trouble picking her up because he gets nervous about being a bitten.  I think she lets me pick her up because I’m a nurse and I’ve got I very steady way doing things like this that does not show anxiety. I am the one that cuts her nails. Slowly she has allowed my daughter to pick her up after 2 years. 

We found be VERY respectful of her space was important.  She has a big rabbit condo that I basically ask permission to go into and have an ex-pen attached she comes out and greets us in.  Over a year she got to the place that she will come to the edge of one of her floors of her condo and ask for pats, and will let us clean the cage without sorting or charging.  She will hop up to the edge of the ex-pen and sit up to get pats.  She even goes up to our dogs at times to get some attention.  (Although sometimes I think it’s to actually mess with the dogs.)

I don’t think you “broke” the relationship with your bunny.  It just takes times, and it is very challenging.

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Bunny and its state of well being