Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bunny acts weird after first time to Vet

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • tangy07
      Participant
      28 posts Send Private Message

We took peanut who is 4 months old to the Vet for the first time on saturday to get her nail clipped. Also we wanted to check out how the Vet is since she will need to be spayed soon. Peanut is a shy, curious and very jumpy bunny. Everything was fine until she was done. I am not sure what the Vet did since they did not allow us to go in and watch. when they handed her back to us, she seems to be very scared and shaking. so we immediately took her home, which was only like a 5 mins drive and let her back out. She ran out right away and hid in her cardboard box. Ever since then, she has been really quiet, just laying in her play area, comes out rarely from her area. she would crunch up like a ball the first day when we tried to touch her. She is now better but still very quiet. she is still eating, drinking water and pooping. she doesnt seem to want to run around the condo and jump around for some reason. Have you guys experienced that?

I am not sure if the vet was rough to her since peanut is scared of new people she meets and will not come out of her cage so easily. 

• Brambino
        Participant
        148 posts Send Private Message

Was she taken out the back to have her nails clipped? Perhaps they caught the quick? This is easily done in bunnies if they’re wriggly but obviously incredibly painful for the bun – think about when you accidentally catch down to your nail bed. It usually causes bleeding from the nail. She maybe needs more time to recover emotionally and physically. She’s probably just really scared. It may be easier to clip her nails at home in the future?

• sarahthegemini
          Participant
          5584 posts Send Private Message

I find it really odd that the vet didn’t allow you to go in. What’s up with that? Maybe they did catch the quick or something as Brambino suggested.

• Wascally Wabbits
            Participant
            104 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry to hear she was so traumatized! I always insist they treat my rabbit in front of me. Unless it’s something like an x-ray that cannot be moved. Syringe feeding nail clipping sub q fluids can all be administered in front of the parent. Maybe it’s a little paranoid, but reasonable vets should always accommodate. It’s also better to see how they handle your rabbit. Have you checked her all over for wounds?

• Thekillergreece
              Participant
              86 posts Send Private Message

My vet always and I repeat, always cuts the nails front of me and they never told me to leave from the room except surgeries and other stuff.

• DorothyTheMiniSatinBun
                Participant
                144 posts Send Private Message

My vet did this too, took my rabbit out of the room and then brought her back. It was strange.

Dorothy always acts a bit tramautized after we take her out and put her in the car, ie not as playful and more nervous. She does not enjoy car rides. Maybe it was the ride or being taken out of Peanut’s environment? But my bun always goes back to normal the next day.

• tangy07
                  Participant
                  28 posts Send Private Message

i’m not sure what they did to her actually since i could not go in. But she seems to be herself again now. I think she was just scared about the experience. Thanks all for your reply.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bunny acts weird after first time to Vet