Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Bunny acting very skittish suddenly

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • khushi2020
      Participant
      20 posts Send Private Message

My new bunny

This is my new bunny Zarah. She hasn’t been with us long, but is an absolute sweetheart and when I come into her room immediately wants to be petted. However as of yesterday when I came into her room she completely freaked out. And started running away from me in fear. I didn’t touch her, I just gave her space. Hoping she would be better the next day, she is still very afraid and skittish…. This is a complete 360 from her personality, and I am not sure what to do. 🙁 Anyone else had their bun get really afraid and skittish out of nowhere? What did you do?

• DanaNM
        8930 posts Send Private Message

Oh she’s beautiful!
          Sometimes buns hear or smell something weird that sets them off. Could there be a new smell or sound that she’s noticing? Or any other changes in the household?

Sometimes new bunnies also do better with a smaller space that is just “theirs”. It helps them feel less like they have a huge area to defend. So even if you plan to give her a whole room, you could keep her in a pen within that room for most of the day for now, so then when you come it she doesn’t immediately feel like you are invading her space.

Another thought is if it’s very quiet in the room she could just be startled by the noises. Some people will play quiet music for their buns to help with this.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• khushi2020
            Participant
            20 posts Send Private Message

We got her at the end of June, so she’s been with us for 3 weeks total. She was unspayed, we were very precautious and descented and cleaned out the room she would be in. As we have two other male rabbits. She was very social and wanted attention whenever we visited her, before and after her spay.

It was just yesterday she started freaking out and running away after I entered the room. I entered earlier in the morning right after I woke up. I didn’t smell any different than I would normally. So I am thinking it was just the sound of me entering that freaked her out. She is normally in the room either by herself. Or with my husband while he works, as it is the office we have her in.

I’ll try the music

• LBJ10
            16898 posts Send Private Message

Is she young and unspayed? Another thought is that her hormones have kicked in.

• Bam
              16871 posts Send Private Message

As LBJ says, sex hormones can kick in like the flipping of a switch. Baby buns are trusting and curious. Teenage buns are skittish and suspicious, adult buns are sth in between, although more on the suspicious side than the trusting.

Spaying will probably help greatly, but even an animal that is desexed will become an adult.

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Bunny acting very skittish suddenly