Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bunny acting and eating normal but barely pooping

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • crazylittlebunny
      Participant
      21 posts Send Private Message

Hello everyone!!

So I recently got another rabbit named Binky (8 week old lion head/mini rex mix) who I plan to eventually bond with my current rabbit Barney (1.5 year old mini rex) after I get him neutered. Ive noticed that even though Binky is eating and drinking normally and is really curious and active, he is barely pooping and when he does poop, they are really small. I felt around his stomach/abdominal area and I can feel anything hard or that would indicate some kind of blockage so I’m not sure what could be going on and I don’t know what to do. Maybe this is a constipation issue???

I’m thinking about calling the vet and having binky examined. Any advice on what I could do to get him pooping more is much appreciated.

• DanaNM
        8901 posts Send Private Message

Hi there, sorry no one responded to this!

How is Binky doing now?

At his young age it’s good to be vigilant. Not sure how recently you got him? Sometimes they need a little time to adjust, but usually by the evening on the day you bring them home they should be eating and pooping. Baby bunnies can have very small poops though. Eating more hay will help make them larger.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• crazylittlebunny
          Participant

I brought him home on Friday, May 13th. Binky seems to be doing pretty well. He’s running around, doing binkies, and he is eating really well. he adjusted to his new home pretty quickly and he does eat a lot of his hay. Like I said in my previous post, I’ve felt his stomach/abdominal area and I can’t feel anything that would indicate a blockage and he is pooping……. just not as much as I though he would. When I brought my other rabbit home (Barney) at the same age (2 months) he pooped way way more then what binky is doing. Maybe I’m just being paranoid???

• RabbitLove2008
            Participant
            14 posts Send Private Message

If Binky is a rescue and was previously in a foster home prior to moving in with you, you may want to check with his foster family to see if the size and amount of his poops are “normal” for him. If Binky came from a breeder, he was probably raised together with other members of his litter, so it may not be possible for the breeder to isolate Binky’s pooping habits.

Do you know how long ago Binky was weaned? It might be that his GI tract is still “adjusting” to eating hay. Although a very young rabbit such as Binky can certainly eat alfalfa hay, you may want to try a coarser hay, such as oat (sold in mini-bales in the BinkyBunny store, and in small bags by Oxbow). I have never had a long-term or foster rabbit, young or mature, who didn’t like oat hay! It’s not good for oat to be a long-term regular hay because it tends to cause weight gain, but it should be fine for a very young rabbit. Once a rabbit is 6+ months old, oat hay should probably be a weekly treat at most.

Binky is going to need a baseline vet visit prior to being neutered, so I would check with your vet clinic and (provided that they agree and are aware of your poop concerns) schedule an appointment now. It could be that his poop is “normal” for him, at least at this stage in his life, but you’ll want to be sure.

• crazylittlebunny
              Participant

Binky and his brother were surrendered to the animal shelter when the family who had them realized they were boys (they wanted girls). I don’t know when he was weaned but I will try your hay idea and see if it helps 🙂

• RabbitLove2008
                  Participant
                  14 posts Send Private Message

Please keep us posted! After hearing his shelter story, I’m so glad Binky has found a good home with you. . .

Viewing 4 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bunny acting and eating normal but barely pooping