Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Bunnies were spayed yesterday.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
    • blacktort
      Participant
      11 posts Send Private Message

So both my girls were spayed yesterday…

I took them in a large dog crate, with the bottom newspapered and bedded down – and they currently don’t seem interested in coming out and going inside their cage. So for the time being I am just leaving them in there with food and bowls of water (They aren’t really using the water bottle)

You can see their different temperments at work though, the more dominat female is very grouchy at the moment and wants everyone to leave her alone. While the quieter one is more interested in sleeping and is being very calm.

In some ways I feel bad that I did this to them, but I know in the long run it is much better.

• RabbitPam
        11002 posts Send Private Message

Oh, my, don’t feel bad at all – the worst is over! They are recovering nicely so far, and you are doing a good job of letting them be comfortable.

They will bounce back (literally) soon and then you can be relieved from now on about reducing the high risk of cancer, plus watch for behavior changes for the better. Good job!!!

• Sarita
          Participant
          18851 posts Send Private Message

I agree, don’t feel bad, it is for the better and rabbitpam is right, the worst is over. They’ll be back to their normal selves in a few days.

• rabbitsmba
            Participant
            475 posts Send Private Message

It’s not unusual for a bunny to be grumpy after surgery. DId your vet give you metacam for pain? Just incase they are not feeling well?

• Beka27
              Participant
              16016 posts Send Private Message

((((((((((((((((((feel better buns!)))))))))))))))))

• BinkyBunny
                8776 posts Send Private Message

Post surgery for females is usually a longer more subdued recovery than males. Spaying is more invasive and so the females need to time to rest and heal. Just be sure they are eating and drinking, but otherwise, let them rest. It may take a few days before they start to feel somewhat normal.

Are they eating okay right now? They probably don’t have huge appetites, but they need to be nibbling on things now.

• blacktort
                  Participant

They are both eating and drinking fine.

What concerns me is that the one has gotten so aggressive, she used to be aggressive occasionally due to hormones…but since her spay it has been practically torture trying to do anything with her and yesterday she picked a fight with her sister for the first time since we have had them (About a year) and I had to seperate them, because I was worried  she would hurt her. She also doesn’t want me anywhere near her, making it difficult to give her medication. (They have been pretty good about taking it, but this morning neither one of them did so I am going to try again in a hour or so)

Hopefully her attitude gets better soon though, because right now it is at the point where I can’t even put my hand in the cage without her charging it.

• babybunsmum
                    Participant
                    3896 posts Send Private Message

do you have pain meds to give them?  i think it’s possible she may be grumpy due to pain and in that case i’d contact the vet and request meds.  it’s great that they’re both eating because i was explained that if they’re in too much pain they won’t even eat.  if they are getting pain meds then perhaps it’s hormonal and regular post-spay grumpiness.  i was told that it can sometimes take 1 or 2 months for the hormones to die down completely. 

• Beka27
                      Participant
                      16016 posts Send Private Message

yeah, it takes time for hormones to decrease. i’m guessing it’s pain or discomfort that’s making her grumpy. think about it this way… humans express pain or sickness in different ways. some folks are “bad patients” so to speak, very difficult to be around and care for when they are not feeling well (my husband comes to mind!) she should start to feel better soon. are they actually completely separated, or just separated by grids? you do not want to remove them from each other completely or there’s a chance of the bond being broken.

• blacktort
                        Participant

I don’t have grids for my cage as of currently, so right now the situation is that I have a smaller wire cage within the larger one…so they do have contact through wire, as they can smell each other etc. I just don’t want them completely together until they are healed enough where I don’t have to worry about someones stitches coming out. My calmer baby seems quite depressed that she can’t sleep with her sissy. But after her sister attacked her last night I figure it is better for her.

They do have meds…and took them very well until they finally “woke up” today, and feeling much more hyper they don’t want to sit still for them.

• babybunsmum
                          Participant
                          3896 posts Send Private Message

that set-up sounds good… separated from fighting but not from sight / smell.  i was lucky & for some reason pinky bun actually liked her meds & would run upto the syringe to take them.  maybe you’ll have to burrito them to give them their meds?  good sign that they’re up & at’em though!

• blacktort
                            Participant

They have both calmed down considerably, and seem to miss each other (Nuzzling each other through the bars etc.) so I am thinking I will try letting them together again today and I found a way to give them their medication, so things are working out pretty well.

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Bunnies were spayed yesterday.