Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Bunnies just can’t get along.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • Butters1
      Participant
      7 posts Send Private Message

Hi everyone,

I recently moved in with my boyfriend, and our rabbits met for the first time at that point.  He has 2 – a male (Mangi)  and a female (Grue), spayed and neutered.  I have 1, male (Butters), neutered.

We cannot find a way for them to get along.  We’ve given them some time to bond in a non-threatening location, we’ve put them in the bathtub together, we’ve introduced them to a new routine.  But, nothing has worked.

Butters is hesitant to come out of his cage.  When he does – if he does – he runs in the other direction if the other 2 look at him, or, if they are out, approach him.   He has gotten to the point where some nights he won’t come out at all. 

The other 2 rabbits chin Butters’ cage, and have also shown signs of not getting along among themselves.  They have always shared a cage and have never had any problems with one another.  Now, one will start to "attack" one another – so badly that we’re finding tufts of hair on the floor if we don’t come to break it up soon enough.

My question is this:  has anyone had these issues?  Can anyone give me any advice??

Thank you in advance – I just want everyone to get along!

Heather.

• Scarlet_Rose
        Participant
        4293 posts Send Private Message

Hi Heather, welcome to the board, I just wish it were under better circumstances. How long had they all been living under one roof before you tried bonding them? It almost sounds like you may have tried too soon. How do they react when their cages are side by side? Do they try to attack through the bars? If so, please make sure that the cages are far enough apart so their noses don’t get nipped. Am I also to understand that they all have free roam at one time? I am thinking that perhaps it would be better to give Butters his own free-roam space to feel comfy in a new home environment where he does not face being chased or harmed because unfortunately your fella has a disadvantage of being the newcomer here and everything has been marked by Mangi & Grue as theirs. Try separate run areas for a while until they can at least be civil to each other through a barrier and try bonding again after then. I’m sure you’ll get loads more tips from the community leaders here too.

• Gravehearted
          Participant
          2428 posts Send Private Message

welcome to binky bunny Butters!

it sounds like you’ve got a case of the bonding blues.  Scarlet_Rose has shared some excellent suggestions. I agree that you can’t make a serious effort to bond them unless Butters feels safe and comfortable there.   I would give him time to settle in for a few weeks before working on bonding.  

Since the bonded pair are fighting, the addition of Butters is likely leading them to re-establish roles and dominance.   When adding a third bun to a bonded pair, the dynamics of the group may change. Sometimes one of the existing pair will bond with the new rabbit, while the other does not. Or, the existing bond may break when a third bun is introduced.

One thing to consider is that you’ve moved Butters into THEIR turf.  I would recommend once you start to try bonding again to level the playing field and take them out of the house entirely to try some bonding.  Maybe to a friend’s house or in the yard if his buns haven’t been there.

I’ve heard some people also find it helpful to  work on bonding the third bunny to one of the pair and then the other.  then they work with the trio together.

here are a few articles on bonding trios that may be helpful for you

http://www.ontariorabbits.org/diet/behavinfo2.2.html

or this one http://www.rabbitsinthehouse.org/newsletter/Clover%20Leaf%20X%20-%20final.pdf

sending lots of good bonding thoughts your way – hope you’ll keep us updated on how it’s going.

• Butters1
            Participant
            7 posts Send Private Message

Thank you both for your suggestions. We both moved into a new house, so we let them adjust to the smell and feel of the place before we tried to bond them. Their cages are fine side by side – they sniff at each other between the bars of the cage, and there hasn’t been any nipping, etc, in that manner.

Maybe we’ll try bonding Butters to one of his rabbits – Mangi is bigger than Butters, but generally more friendly than the Grue. Butters flat out runs when she approaches!

Thank you again – I’ll keep you posted!

Heather

• Scarlet_Rose
              Participant
              4293 posts Send Private Message

You’re welcome and good luck! Keep us posted!

• Deleted User
                Participant
                22064 posts Send Private Message

I feel your anguish.  I have tried to bond my bunnies too and had the most upsetting time that I had to send Sprinkles to my friend’s house.  It was so difficult when I bought Luey into the house that everything went to mayhem.

Sprinkles was bonded to me and just loves human company …. she was quite put out by Luey arriving in HER house!  But in my case, I think this was the better solution.

Now Luey is bonding to Me … gosh how come I can attract rabbits and not the two legged (male) human species LOL.  I’ll have to work on that one!

Dawn xx

• BinkyBunny
                  8776 posts Send Private Message

Since they are not getting along right off. I would try a stress method like a car ride first, then bring them into a neutral territory.
                    Switching litterboxes can help the others get used to each other’s scent as well.

How long did you try to bond them, and how long was each session? What usually would take place?Details are helpful.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Bunnies just can’t get along.