Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Bun started sleeping in litter box?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • lunarbun
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

Hi all! I have an assumed 3+ y/o spayed lop. She’s a very sassy girl and I’ve had her for 2 years now. I’m concerned because as of the past couple of weeks she’s been laying in her litterbox at least once a night, usually around this time actually. Prior to this, she would assumably only ever lay in her litterbox when in pain/during stasis. So of course, now seeing her do this daily, my anxiety is on full blast and my mind immediately goes to thinking she is in pain.

I’m also an exotics vet tech, so rest assured she sees her vet more than average. I did full bloodwork and X-rays on her about 6 weeks ago and also removed an anal polyp. Everything was deemed within normal range, except that she was overweight and developing the onset of arthritis in her hind limbs. So, I put her on a limited pellet diet as of 2 weeks ago, but increased her leafy green intake and added different types of hay to encourage her to continue eating.

I can’t imagine that  2+ years in she would only now think it’s comfy to lay in litter boxes? The only other thing I can think of is that she sleeps mainly the entire day or at least from noon-9 or so and doesn’t eat much nor hardly poop, and then wakes up, lays in her litterbox and there’s always a little pile of poops after that. Perhaps her lack of daytime eating slows down her GI Tract and makes it a bit uncomfy to have her first poop session at night? Lmao, I’m reaching for whatever I can here. Anyone else been through the same thing with their bun?

• DanaNM
        8901 posts Send Private Message

Hmmmm, maybe her arthritis is starting to make her feel like sleeping in her box instead?  Do you think she could be older than 3?

Many buns sometimes do this, it’s not uncommon and usually not a cause for concern unless it’s paired with other symptoms. Also many buns don’t eat too much during the day as they are sleeping, so that’s also not uncommon.

What’s her set-up like? Maybe changing to a low-sided litter box and adding some hay in different spots will make it easier for her to go in and out and encourage a bit more hay eating?

To me this falls in the “keep an eye on it” category. As long as she is eating normally then I think she just thinks the litter box is comfy.

PS. I would’t increase greens for weight loss, I would reduce pellets as you have, keep greens the same, and do what you can to encourage gentle movement and more hay intake. Adding soft flooring with good traction should help her as well. I really liked using sheepette fabric with my arthritic bun.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• LBJ10
          16870 posts Send Private Message

Yes, I wouldn’t be concerned unless there are other symptoms. Lots of bunnies think their litter box is a comfortable bed.

Fewer pellets and more hay is your best bet for weight loss. You can try splitting up her ration to make it “last longer”. Or, you could encourage movement by putting her pellets in a toy or treat ball.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Bun started sleeping in litter box?