Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Bulk Veggies

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • michaela
      Participant
      47 posts Send Private Message

Hi Guys!

I haven’t asked my parents about getting a rabbit or two yet but I want to know where I can buy bulk Veggies. Does anyone have any ideas? My mom goes to Costco about once a month, because it’s 45 minutes away from our house. She goes to the regular grocery stores about every week. She just went to Costco again for the first time in 2 months because of coronavirus. We usually shop at Natural Grocers and sometimes King Soopers and Albertsons. I also want to ask if I can grow some veggies in the garden, but my dog always ruins the flower beds. Thanks again guys!! 😁

• Wick & Fable
        5782 posts Send Private Message

Bulk fresh veggies is difficult.Veggies go bad pretty quickly, especially those processed and bagged/boxed in stores. I think for the majority of rabbit owners, fresh veggies is added to the weekly grocery list. Unlike hay, which stays good… forever essentially, haha… veggies are really only best for a week at max, in my experience, so bulk buying may not be the best approach. You may end up losing money because you cannot go through them fast enough!

Spring mix is pretty popular because it has a couple different types of lettuces that are rabbit-safe and give you a good, diverse foundation for a veggie plate.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• michaela
          Participant

Okay thank you! Spring Mix does seem the way to go I think veggies might be the only thing I ask my parents to pay for. (I haven’t asked yet I’m nervous!)

• DanaNM
            8935 posts Send Private Message

Spring mix is awesome for convenience, but mine always goes bad really quickly! There is one type of lettuce in there that always goes slimy and I end up having to sort through it all. Romaine has pretty good shelf-life in the fridge though (I’ve had heads last a couple weeks easy when they are bought fresh). You could also grow some edible weeds, herbs and lettuces yourself to add variety. 🙂

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Wick & Fable
              5782 posts Send Private Message

I find getting the container that has no noticeable bad lettuce in it (it tends to spread fast if already there) and with as little condensation in the container as possible helps. Also, when I get home, I immediately vent open the lid and keep it partially open in the fridge to allow that air circulation to mitigate water rotting the mix very quickly. It works generally to elongate it a couple days, haha.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• michaela
                Participant

Thank you for the tips! I think that if I get bunnies I’ll ask my parents to pay for veggies and vet care, because I’ll be paying for basically everything else. I think I might ask them if we can grow some stuff like lettuces and kale in our garden once we dog proof it. Last year my dogs got into it and ruined the garden, twice.😂

• Louiethebunny
                  Participant
                  603 posts Send Private Message

I have a plot in a community garden, and I grow my own lettuce and herbs. Once the plants get started you can harvest new leaves every few days. This is great in the summer when the plants thrive, but in the winter buying from the store makes more sense.

• michaela
                    Participant

Yeah definitely! I’ll definitely talk about that.

• Lops4Life!
                      Participant
                      33 posts Send Private Message

Hey!

I tend to grow my own veggies! But I also collect forage from areas which can also be as effective as veggies! Make sure to have an even mix of both though! You can always use leafy mixes that people use in salads, but make sure that they are ok for them to eat 🙂

• michaela
                        Participant

Okay great, thanks!! 😁 I will definitely talk to my parents about growing veggies if I can convince them to let me get bunnies!!

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Bulk Veggies