Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Bugs found in pellets

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • riley47203
      Participant
      5 posts Send Private Message

This morning I found three little bugs in Chickens food (Pellets)…does anyone know anything about this?  How or why they are there? Thanks! Trena

• JK
        Participant
        2223 posts Send Private Message

Gross! Was this before or after you put the pellets in a dish? I always keep my pellets in a sealed plastic container just for that very reason.

• KatnipCrzy
          Participant
          2981 posts Send Private Message

I have major issues with bugs- grosses me out so bad to find them in pet food.  I think it  is partly because the few times I have ever found them it is a surprise- and I was a bit startled.

Anyway- I do not buy much food in bulk anymore- prefer to buy sealed bags that I keep in sealed containers at home after opening.

But as gross as this sounds- I know that for parrots and hamsters- they recommend putting the food in the food in the freezer as this will kill any bugs and eggs.  And then the parrots and hamsters can still eat the food as any dead bugs are just protein for them.  Yuck!  i am too grossed out to ever do this with food that I know had bugs.  But I have frozen small bags of parrot snack mixes to make sure there were OK and that I would NOT see bugs.

Julie

• Sarita
            Participant
            18851 posts Send Private Message

It is difficult to know just based on your post why they are there. I have heard about putting the food in the freezer as well to store it but I never have.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
              Participant
              12067 posts Send Private Message

I buy BIG bags of food, so they last me a looong time; I store them in a big locking lid type tupperware thing, and store a smaller amount that I refill from the large tub, in a small locking lid type tin! This so far has worked for me!

• Gravehearted
                Participant
                2428 posts Send Private Message

toss them right away and buy fresh. I keep mine in a sealed tupperware and don’t buy in large quantities.

• Toki+Pumpkin+Elmo
                  Participant
                  319 posts Send Private Message

I buy the bigger bag of Oxbow Basics T. I put 1/3 in a zip bag to use. Freeze the rest and take out only 1/3 at each time whenever needed. I do the same for their homemade treats as well.

I cant tell whether if it’s after you opened the bag or before. Also, how are you storing it? It is gross though.

• Spacehopper
                    Participant
                    540 posts Send Private Message

Eeeeouw!! It made me wretch (silly i know) when some time back the boyfriend pointed out that Brian’s food was crawling with bugs. I had a look and there were all these reddish shiny small beetle things scurring about in the dried food. That was it, straight in the bin, cage cleaned (as my poor Brian must have been sat eating with them scurrying about at his feet) hoover came out, anti bac spray etc etc. We now buy small bags of food and keep it stored in an airtight box, and i find myself peering into the food stuff before giving it to the rabbits nowadays.

At school i did my work experience in a pet shop and the amount of food they threw away due to weevil infestations…good god! I remember being horrified and i shot off sitting on the big bags of dried foods eating lunch when i was told i might not want to do that “just in case”. I had to check the foods before bagging them up from the big sacks too incase of bugs. I think that may be where my aversion to creepy crawlies comes from, wont even pick up a worm now!! lol (yet give me a rabbit poop and i’ll inspect it in great detail for threadworms as i’d be devastated if Brian OR BETTIE ever got them again – fully armed with turquoise rubber gloves and a tub of alcohol wipes..JUST TO BE SAFE!!

I tend to go for the compressed dust free hay bags now too, after being bitten red raw after finding out a big bag of hay was full of little nasties!

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Bugs found in pellets