Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Broom aggressive

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Ert000
      Participant
      130 posts Send Private Message

Hi, my rabbit gets aggressive when it sees the broom. When I take the broom, it goes crazy. When it sees the broom it poopes everywhere. My bunny calms down when i llet go of my broom. The case is about my touching the broom. Does it think the broom is another rabbit?

Love for animals is the escape of human from human..

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

I think brooms can be confusing to rabbits. The sweeping motion makes them feel threatened because they don’t know what it is. Easiest solution would prob be to pen the rabbit in a different area while you sweep. You could also try acclimating him to the broom by letting him sniff it and check it out.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Ert000
            Participant

The broom sweeps the floor, i don’t think it’s very clean. I am very cleanly. I don’t want to give it the broom for chew. But I will try to introduce😃

• Bam
            16877 posts Send Private Message

I do think some rabbits perceive the broom as another rabbit. A broom is hairy, it moves, and it intrudes into the bun’s territory where it messes with the bun’s poop. Buns have territorial poops that they mark their area with. The broom tries to remove this poop, which must be regarded as an act of hostility. The fact that your bun starts to poop everywhere when you sweep would rather support this theory.

I had a rabbit who clearly saw the broom as his enemy. He would accept getting pet on the head with it though (the rabbit that gets groomed by the other rabbit is the dominant rabbit, so when the broom would pet my bun’s head, the broom was being submissive – in the eyes of my bun, that is).

As Dana says, the best thing is to try and sweep when your bun is in a different area. You can try letting your bun investigate the broom when it’s not moving, because that could perhaps help make your bun understand that the broom isn’t a live being. My bun still fought with the broom when it was hanging in its place in the hall, but that could’ve been because it smelled of my other bun (I had two buns and they were living in separate parts of my apt because they weren’t friends).

• Ert000
                Participant

My bunny calms down when i put down the broom. It doesn’t bother my bunny if he stays in the room. When I put down the broom, it comes to me. Sniffs me and sits beside me. As if not sharing me.😃😃 I’m brooming when it is in another room. My bunby hears and understands it brush voice. Getting aggressive again. It calms down when it sees me. Is it jealousof the broom?😃😃😃

• Hazel
                Participant
                2587 posts Send Private Message

They often don’t like brooms because of the sweeping motion, it can trigger an aggressive response. If he hears you using the broom in another room it can trigger the same negative response just because he associates the noise with the broom. As long as the broom isn’t being used and moved around he probably just doesn’t care about it. I don’t think he’s jealous.

• Ert000
                    Participant

I understand, thanks

Viewing 3 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Broom aggressive