Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bringing my bunny outside

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • MoosetheBun
      Participant
      5 posts Send Private Message

Moose LOVES going outside. I used to live in a place with a fenced in back yard so I let him have free run, but my new place is fenceless. I have an enclosure that I put him in outside, but he really doesn’t love it as he can’t run around as much.

How do you guys take your bunnies out? Are enclosures the only option, or should I try a harness and leash so he’s got free run again? I know from research that harnesses aren’t great for buns, however from my understanding this is because of the pulling on them, which I wouldn’t be doing at all. I wouldn’t even touch the leash, it would just be there to grab in case of emergency. I’m actually quite sure that I could bring him out without any enclosure or leash and he wouldn’t run, although this is a risk that I probably shouldn’t take!

Also- I am of course always right by his side when we go out as well.

• Bam
        16877 posts Send Private Message

The problem with a harness and leash isnt that the human pulls at the leash, its if the bun freaks and pulls at the leash. As you know, a bun can be freaked by just about anything.

I had a bun who was taught to wear a harness and walk on a leash from when he was a baby. I did walk him in my mum’s garden, and he seemed to enjoy it, but it’s a garden that has a dog safe fence.

My bun did enjoy spending time in his outdoors run where he could graze and dig, but it would of course have been a lot more fun for him if he could’ve roamed free. I never considered it safe enough, though. He loved sitting on his platform on the porch, which is bunny proofed much like you would cat-proof a porch.

• Cinnimon&Ollie
          Participant
          300 posts Send Private Message

The most important things with harnesses are that you need a stretchy leash, I got mine from Kaytee harness but I don’t use the harness it came with because they could escape that one. H harnesses are the safest. You would need to take your time harness training and keep in mind that it isn’t for every bunny. It took one of my bunnies less than a month and the other took 5 months so it does take time sometimes. Also, you need to size it correctly it should be able to put your pinky finger in it no more, they have so much fur which makes it tricky. RHV2 is a risk right now too. I don’t know where you live and rapidly it is spreading there but I live where there haven’t been any cases near me ( closest 6 1/2 hours away ) but I still would rather be safe than sorry. I think harnesses training is great for some bunnies but not for others so you have to watch carefully because it might not be right for Moose. Also, Moose is an adorable name.

• DanaNM
            8935 posts Send Private Message

The safest thing for buns that enjoy being outside is to set up an exercise pen and let them explore in that, with you supervising, as you are already doing. 🙂

Maybe making it bigger and adding some tunnels would help him explore it more?

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bringing my bunny outside