Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Breathing: Normal Or Heavy?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • CinnamonPearl
      Participant
      69 posts Send Private Message

Just need a quick second opinion. Does my bunny’s breathing look a bit heavy to you all? I was cuddling him today and thought it was a bit weird that I could hear his breathing when I had my face nuzzled in his fur. I could be wrong but I feel like I usually can’t? He’s not open mouth breathing, and there’ve been no other changes. He’s bright, alert, active, responsive, eating and pooping normally. Maybe drinking more than usual? But he does go through little phases where he drinks a bit more/less than usual so not sure if that’s connected. But we do travel a little bit, long car trips every few weeks, so I just wanted to make sure. 

Here’s a link to a video. If someone could take a look, I’d really appreciate it. Thank you!

Edited to add: Another odd thing, I just happened to notice. When I put my ear against his side, towards the abdomen, I can hear what I can only describe as gut sounds. I’m not sure if this is abnormal or even related, but I’ve just never heard these noises before? And we do cuddle a lot. Granted, I’ve never been listening or looking for them. But I thought it was worth it to mention.

• jerseygirl
        22345 posts Send Private Message

It does look a bit fast. It reminds me of rabbits breathing when they’ve been stressed or when they are too hot. Some will even flop when stressed. His nose looked a bit moist also. Is it damp? That would show he’s breathing at a higher rate.

He does appear to be lying comfortably. Is he staying like that or getting up and repositioning a lot?

• CinnamonPearl
          Participant

He’s been comfortable all night! Lying with me and lying still for the normal amounts of time for him, just getting up to get a drink or use the litter box.

Turning down the thermostat just in case.

And just checked and his nose does definitely feel damp. I’ve noticed that before actually but wasn’t sure what to make of it.

• CinnamonPearl
            Participant

Bump. Still curious about that damp nose if anyone has any info about it

• Bam
              16878 posts Send Private Message

Fast breathing can cause the nose to get damp, because all animals incl humans breathe out waste products in the form of water and carbon dioxide, more so with increased breathing rate.Air temp (temp difference between ambient air and the warm air that comes out of the nose) and air humidity also plays a role, so a damp nose is not always a sign that sth is wrong. 

Rabbits should always have some gut sounds if you listen with your ear really close up. It just means the gut is working.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Breathing: Normal Or Heavy?