Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A brand of hay?

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
    • mikos mom
      Participant
      25 posts Send Private Message

it seems that miko is not eatting as much hay as he used to. for the last 2 or 3 purchases kaytee natural timothy hay & while he eats it he doesnt seem to be as excited about the hay as he once was (he used to really jump around for the soft hay)

The problem is: the hay sold in my area seems to all be the hard pinchy Timothy hay. Can anyone recommand a brand of soft, non-pinchy hay? i’ve tried sooo many brands and theyre all hard & pinchy. i was thinking about ordering some hay from this site but i don’t know much of which one is good for miko.

I could be wrong but i’m thinking that the reason why he’s making alot of poop balls outside of his litter rtray is because he’s not eatting his hay as much as he used to.

any help you can give would be great! Thank you guys!!

• (dig)x(me)x(now)
        Participant
        2517 posts Send Private Message

Frankie is a picky hay eater, but he’s really taken a liking to Oxbow Western Timothy hay. For picky buns, you can also try variety with things like orchard grass, brome, or oat hay.

There are a good number of rabbit rescues and a few House Rabbit Society chapters in NY, so you can probably be referred to a great, inexpensive hay source too. What part of NY are you in?

• (dig)x(me)x(now)
          Participant
          2517 posts Send Private Message

Here are a few hay sources for the NYC area:
            http://www.rabbitcare.org/hay.htm

• mikos mom
            Participant

i’m in staten island

good to know miko isnt the only picky eater. he’s my frist bunny so there alot i have to learn. i really appreciate your info. if you think theres anything else i should know please let me know. he’s 1 1/2 yrs old. is there anything specific i should be doing?

• mikos mom
              Participant

also should he be eatting timothy or alfalfa hay? whats the difference?

• RachelF
                Participant
                287 posts Send Private Message

alfalfa is a high calorie hay, only recommended for young rabbits.

you should definitely go with a timothy hay if you are getting it from a local pet store. the oxbow hay website has many different kinds(besides just plain timothy and alfalfa), and on the website they have a description of what each hay is specialized for. some are more fragrant, others more high calorie, some recommended for a more finicky bun.

i feel the same way with my older bun. she doesn’t really seem to get excited about hay, and seems to only eat it when shes bored at night.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                  Participant
                  12067 posts Send Private Message

Timothy or any type of grass hay is what he should be eating.

Alfalafa is high in calories and calcium, for young or senior buns (or a treat).

There are four cuts of timothy as well -see if you can buy second cut-it’s softer and nicer!

• LittlePuffyTail
                    18092 posts Send Private Message

SunSeed has a type of Timothy called Sweet Grass. It’s very leafy and soft. My buns love it.

• MimzMum
                      Participant
                      8029 posts Send Private Message

Wow, bunnyballet, you just took a load off my mind there. Where Pip likes to munch all day long, Mimzy will only eat his hay when he knows he won’t be disturbed in his night pen. it really used to worry me that he wasn’t getting enough to eat if he’d only eat then, as I’d have him out in his xpen all day.

It must be a comfort thing? 0_o Hay as comfort food, now there’s something you don’t see everyday.

That SunSeed sounds like nice product, LPT. Is there a distributor for it online, perchance?

• mikos mom
                        Participant

thank you guys so much! i really appreciate the help.. i picked up some bermuda grass hay last night and gave him some last night and some this morning but nothing seems to have changed. still isnt eatting & having the runs. should i be worrying? because i’m a little nervous to be honest

• osprey
                          Participant
                          2065 posts Send Private Message

Is he eating at all, or just not the hay? Not eating a pooping problems can be a serious problem. Does he eat alot of pellets? What about greens?

Regarding soft hays, the American Pet Diner 2nd cut timothy hay is a very soft, fragrant grass hay. I am fortunate to be able to buy it locally. If it is available in your area, he might like it.

Please continue to watch his pooping. If it continues this way he may need to see a vet.

• skunklionshow
                            Participant
                            1257 posts Send Private Message

I buy BB hay:  I used to get the 6 Blend, but last time I got the suggested substitute (Orchard and ???)

I’ve found BB to be the freshest and best for the price.  I really had to force hay on my beasts, both HATED Timothy Hay.  I got them to eat it regularly by limiting their other goodies.

Are you sure he’s got the runs?  or is it just a greater amount of cecals?

• TARM
                              Participant
                              1253 posts Send Private Message

Bunny Lu rescue orders fresh cut timothy hay straight from a farm in either Iowa or Idaho, I forget which. It smells delicious and she sells it for $1 lb. I was feeding Oxbow but this is cheaper, fresher, and benefits the rescue so that’s what my guys eat.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                Participant
                                12067 posts Send Private Message

mikosmom….is the poop still very runny? I’d have him seen by a vet as soon as you can if it lasts more then a couple of days…Keep us posted!!

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A brand of hay?